Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,138   Online: 890

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Super Large! Gotta have it?

Just for those ULFers who want everything AND can afford it. BTW, I have no interest in the sale of thiss lens, the seller...or.....an ULF rig which it will fit. Somehow, this one did not cross the pond to the NV lens mine! Of course, it really would not surprise me if Jim had a least one of these special 50 inch dallmeyer lens...in his NV mine!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mammoth-Special-...QQcmdZViewItem
    If you buy it, please post some shots! Jon

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, let's see, at 100" bellows it would be at 1:1 which would be a rather smallish proportion for a head shot on 20X24 so to get a really giant portrait I'd need about 200 inches of bellows. I guess it's the lens of choice to build into the back door of a retired 24' U-Haul van and pour about 4foot X 5foot collodion plates. Sounds like instant fame to me. I better ask my wife.....

sound of gunshots in Tonopah, Nevada......................
    .................................................. ........................
    .................................................. ........................
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This will probably go at a bid that would require you to play at purchace order level.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw View Post
    Just for those ULFers who want everything AND can afford it. BTW, I have no interest in the sale of thiss lens, the seller...or.....an ULF rig which it will fit. Somehow, this one did not cross the pond to the NV lens mine! Of course, it really would not surprise me if Jim had a least one of these special 50 inch dallmeyer lens...in his NV mine!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mammoth-Special-...QQcmdZViewItem
    If you buy it, please post some shots! Jon

Hi Jon:

Thanks for posting this. People are grumbling about the small size of their Wisner lensboards. Does anybody know if anything short of a process camera would have a lensboard large enough or sturdy enough for a 16 pound hunk of brass and glass?
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It certainly is a thing of great beauty
    I want it!
    I want it!
    I want it!

I can't afford it...

I wonder what camera was available in 1887 or whenever it was that would take something so big and heavy?

A Littlejohn process cameras (cast iron frame bolted down to a concrete slab) or one of the giant Hunter Penrose Process cameras might do it, but I think these came along a lot later? I've never heard of anything that big from this period other than that 'Goliath' camera in the record books, but that was a one off assembled for an exhibition, wasn't it?

Just curious...

Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Wow! That is the biggest lens I have ever seen. But I have to remind myself of my first rule of LF lenses; the larger a lens is, the less likely it will be used.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin