Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,529   Online: 944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

AWB wind stabilizer: solid or hollow rods?

Hello ULFs,

Quick question for owners of the AWB wind stabilizer: are the aluminum rods solid or hollow? I consider getting something similar made in a local machine shop.

Thanks, Markus

Shooter
    Large Format
    They are solid aluminum rods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Solid.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am planning to purchase Alan Brubaker's ABW Wind Stabilizer Kit to improve the stability of my 11x14 Rochester Improved Empire State Camera, of those who use or have used this system, do you recommend it? Any other options recommended for ULF cameras? Thanks. Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It works for me. I use it almost all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are making your own, consider hollow Al alloy tube (this is what Sinar used on their Norma stabilisation kits). You can get it from metal stockists, find some discarded tent poles, or visit any ski area in the summertime and pick up the endless lost ski poles. Alternatively, there are some very nice carbon fiber spars sold for kite making or as fishing rod blanks. They won't like being clamped in the middle in an adjustable-length solution, but if you want to make a triangular support for the front standard that is anchored to the baseplate they'll work well.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Or an arrow and a hunting shop...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the positive feedback and alternative suggestions. I decided to order the AWB wind stabilizer system from Alan and a couple dozen of his film sheet holder pins. I figured with ULF and at a cost of several $s for each shot of film, it was best to get the most versatile system which would provide the best stability.

Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I hope you get it this year. I had to wait 3 months to get mine because he had to make film holders first. I just got it two weeks ago. Looks good just haven't put it on my 8x20 yet.

mike a

PS
    Time doesn't seem to be a concern with him. I ordered my 8x20 holders from someone else because he didn't get back to me. That was $2000 of holders he lost out on.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I can't speak to the particular experiences referenced by Michael9793. I do believe AWB Enterprises is a small business and I definitely do what I can to support small businesses. I have one of my own.
    I can also confirm that I received prompt responses to all of my emails to Alan at AWB Enterprises before I ordered anything, I sent him my check last Sunday, and today (5 days later), I received all of the items I purchased including his Wind Stabilizer Kit. I have received excellent service and superior quality products. I will not hesitate to purchase from Alan (AWB Enterprises) in the future. Best wishes, Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin