Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,673   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Ideal lens sets for 11x14??

I was wondering what those of you that have 11x14 cameras would consider an ideal set of focal lengths and brands of lenses (among those commonly available in good used condition) to have for this format? I would prefer your choices, excluding the highest cost esoteric choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi phototone

i use a wollensak 13-20-25 triple convertible (velostigmat) on my 11x14 camera. it is in a betax shutter and purchased through igor ...

all focal lengths cover without a problem.

i don't take my camera out of my studio ... so i don't know if the FL i use would be suitable for you.

good luck!
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    My current favorites are:

Wide angles:

240mm Computar
    10 3/4 inch (275mm) Dagor
    300mm Wollensak wide angle, or 300mm Dagor

These 3 lenses for wider angles are nice because they are compact and light, and at least in case of the Dagors reelatively inexpensive and available.

For a normal lens the Nikkor 450mm lens is hard to beat, and for a 600mm lens the Fujinon C; both of these are compact and relatively lightweight too.

For longer focal lengths there are fewer options, but there are some process lenses and Red Dot Artars.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't shoot 11x14", but I do (rarely) use 12x16"...

Some of the lenses I've found usable are:

210mm f:6.8 Angulon
    355mm f:9 G-Claron
    500mm f:6.3 Krauss/Zeiss Tessar
    and a 840mm f:7.7 Suter Aplanat...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Also some of the Protar VII cells can be used too; I have found some Zeiss, B&L, and Ross cells in 480, 590, and 690mm focal lengths that are nice, and I am just experimenting with.
    Edward Weston used a 480mm protar cell (albeit on an 8x10), and wrote a passage in one of his books where he talked about liking the image quality of the lens, 'even though some of the Tessar lenses of the day were sharper'; interesting to note that sharpness was not the ultimate factor in choosing a lens.

One final note is that I have found a Nikkor T 800mm telephoto lens which does in fact cover 11x14, although the published specs would indicate the lens does not cover much beyond 8x10. I read one other post where another photographer agreed with the fact that 11x14 coverage is possible.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    14" Gold Dot Dagor
    450mm Nikkor-M
    24" Red Dot Artar
    30" Red Dot Artar
    35" Red Dot Artar

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here are the lenses I use most frequently on 11x14:

Standard Lenses:
    210mm Computar
    355mm G-Claron
    450mm Nikkor-M

Of the above lenses, I can really only recommend the Nikkor-M, which is a great lens. I don't much care for the 355mm G-Claron, although it covers with lots of movements. The Computar is a nice lens, but is too tight for 11x14. A 240 Computar would be better. It does make a nice macro.

Portrait Lenses:
    16" f3.5 Wollensak Varium
    19" f6 Dallmeyer 5D
    22" f4 Dallmeyer 5A

Any of these portrait lenses are great, if you can find them.
    Last edited by JG Motamedi; 04-15-2007 at 08:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Cooke XVa (gives you a 311, 468 and a 646) combined with a 240mm Computar - 4 great focal lenghs on 11x14. I have also used the following: 300 Fujinon A (a bit too tight on 11x14), 305 G Claron (excellent lens with lots of coverage), 355mm G Claron (very sharp with loads of coverage), 360 Fujinon A (small and light and very sharp), 450mm Fuji C (great tiny lens with oodles of coverage), 600 Fuji c (awesome).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post
    Here are the lenses I use most frequently on 11x14:

Standard Lenses:
    210mm Computar
    355mm G-Claron
    450mm Nikkor-M

Of the above lenses, I can really only recommend the Nikkor-M, which is a great lens. I don't much care for the 355mm G-Claron, although it covers with lots of movements. The Computar is a nice lens, but is too tight for 11x14. A 240 Computar would be better. It does make a nice macro.
    Just curious why you don't care for the 355 G-Claron? It will cover 11X14 with lots of movements and is a relatively small lens.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use:

19" RR triple convertible
    19" red dot artar (about to disappear to another user, though)
    14.5" verito
    18" verito (thank you, Jason!!!)

awaiting a dallmeyer 3a
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin