Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,727   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

New Arrival and a few questions

just took delivery of a B&J 11x14 tailboard coupled with a 19" Red Dot Artar. It is in great condition and stable on a large tripod. This is definitely not a camera that I would want to throw in a backpack

I have figured out most of the controls quite easily, but there are few oddities that I have not seen on other cameras.

First is the aluminium bracket that holds the rear standard. There are two slots, any purpose for this or was it to help with weight reduction?

Second there are three aluminium slide that look exactly like the slide that holds the lens board in place, except two are on the other side of the front standard and facing the bellows. The third is at the bottom of the font standard by the bed - I have no idea what these are for - anyone

Lastly it came with a "U" shaped device which might be a stabilizer but looks more likely a device to hold the bellow up preventing sag; any ideas?

I scoured the internet for a user guide but no luck so hoping someone can help me with these questions.

Now looking for an 8x10 reducing back and a couple of blank lensboards.

Hoping you all have a great weekend

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    This is definitely not a camera that I would want to throw in a backpack
    Mike
    Dear Mike,

Wimp!

Can't help on anything else but couldn't resist a gratuitous insult. Smart, lucky wimp!

Well, there is one small helpful thought: with a bit of plywood and ANY standardized 8x10 back, you can make up your own reducing back.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Second there are three aluminium slide that look exactly like the slide that holds the lens board in place, except two are on the other side of the front standard and facing the bellows. The third is at the bottom of the font standard by the bed - I have no idea what these are for - anyone
    Thinking back to the distant past when I briefly owned a B&J 5x7: these may be to allow you to use front rise without inadvertently introducing tilt, and similarly front shift without introducing swing. This is an issue in cameras that secure rise/tilt and/or shift/swing with a single locking knob. For the same reason, Phillips cameras have a little turnbutton that lets you lock the front standard against inadvertent tilt.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Thinking back to the distant past when I briefly owned a B&J 5x7: these may be to allow you to use front rise without inadvertently introducing tilt, and similarly front shift without introducing swing. This is an issue in cameras that secure rise/tilt and/or shift/swing with a single locking knob. For the same reason, Phillips cameras have a little turnbutton that lets you lock the front standard against inadvertent tilt.
    Bingo - that is exactly what they do. Simple but effective.

Thanks

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First is the aluminium bracket that holds the rear standard. There are two slots, any purpose for this or was it to help with weight reduction?
    If this is like the 5x7 version I have, you should be able to rise/lower the camera back - rise/fall. If you have two knobs to tighten, you can remove one (lower I think) to tilt the back.

Congratulations on the 11x14, though it must be quite a beast.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    If this is like the 5x7 version I have, you should be able to rise/lower the camera back - rise/fall. If you have two knobs to tighten, you can remove one (lower I think) to tilt the back.

yes, I can lower and raise he back as well as the front and loosening both gives me rear tilt.

Yes it is quite a beast but easy to set up and I now have a wheelie case to help lug it around. The camera with lens, four film holders and the tripod is more than I want to carry around - actually more than I want to lift

Took some test shots this afternoon - hopefully I will have time to develop the film this afternoon.

Thanks for your help; really appreciated

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an 8x10 B&J reducing back in very good condition I'd be willing to trade if you can find a nice clean regular 8x10 back for almost any camera. I was planning to use it for a homemade camera, but haven't had the heart to cut off the extra pieces. It's standard B&J battleship grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post

On the 8x10 commercial I had, you remove both and slide the back slightly rearward (or possibly forward, been a while), where there is a single hole in the plate that is on axis, you simply screw in the knobs into that hole. It allows you the choice of whether to just have rear rise, or rise and tilt.

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I have an 8x10 B&J reducing back in very good condition I'd be willing to trade if you can find a nice clean regular 8x10 back for almost any camera. I was planning to use it for a homemade camera, but haven't had the heart to cut off the extra pieces. It's standard B&J battleship grey.
    I would love to work a trade - but the only 8x10 back I have is sitting on my beloved Tachihara.

Lets chat via PM

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Could not resist putting up a link to picture of the beast - there she is sitting in my home office

http://home.pacbell.net/mkirwan/B&J.htm

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin