Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,832   Online: 910

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ugh! bad link, here we go http://www.kifaru.net/MGprods.htm
    'To the complaint, 'There are no people in these photographs,' I respond, 'There are always two people: the photographer and the viewer.'

Ansel Adams

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    I know, I know, a back pack for 12x20?!?!?!

But if I were to "require" a back pack, does anyone have any suggestions.
    I plan to stop by a local outdoor gear store (REI type store) and test out a few Osprey wheeled backpacks I researched the other night to see if theyll work. Any other suggestions? links? Inventive ideas/solutions?
    Matt, You might want to check out REI. They have two packs that might be of interest. The REI Grand Tour Travel pack is a panel loader and it is about 24x14x10 or something like that. I think it is 3800ci. I looked at it today and it looks good. I'm thinking of it for my 8x20. Yes, I will backpack with it also! The REI Mars is another one to check out. It is about 27x16x10 I think. It is a top and panel loader. The panel loading is like a duffle. A horseshoe shaped zipper. I didn't see this one but it looks like something to check out. These are both about 185.00-195.00.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks for the info Jim.

Ill have to stop by REI sometime soon to see how the camera fits in either of those bags.

have shot quite a bit with the 12x20 hauling it around in the HUGE suitcase I bought for storing it... works alright... but Ill need to either get something to put on my back or something with bigger wheels for the places Im rolling this beast.
    by the way, despite the pain in the ass factor... I do love this camera/format.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    thanks for the info Jim.

Ill have to stop by REI sometime soon to see how the camera fits in either of those bags.

have shot quite a bit with the 12x20 hauling it around in the HUGE suitcase I bought for storing it... works alright... but Ill need to either get something to put on my back or something with bigger wheels for the places Im rolling this beast.
    by the way, despite the pain in the ass factor... I do love this camera/format.
    I have something called a freigher frame that you might be able to use. It basiclaly just a back-pack frame with a platform on the bottom and you strap what you want to carry to the frame. I used it many years ago for backpacking my 12X20 Korona and a couple of holders. I have sold my 12X20 and don't anticipate using the frame much in future so I might let it go. If you are interested contact me by pm.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took an aluminum 4 foot step ladder and put large wheels on the bottom of the step side. I attched a metal bracket to the top step to make an arm. It is kind of like a golf cart. The side benefit is it is a ladder that you can use to stand up to a height tripod. I also can mount a ball head to the top of the ladder.

I pack my 4x5 camera and a few light essentials in a day pack. I lash my tripod and other heavier stuff to the ladder. The entire thing is great on trails but not so great off trail. It does allow me to back pack in a few Kilometers with tent, overnight gear etc. The ladder assembly weights less than the garden trailers.

In winter I use a toboggan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps something like this,

http://azora.biz/

Jason.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jason, my buddy and fellow 8x20 shooter Dan Dozer is thinking about getting this one. I hope he chimes in if he gets it.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since you brought it up - - - - - I have a very large duffle type of bag that I got from a fly fishing store that is designed to hold everyting you might have including your waders in it. It is easily large enough for the 8 x 20 and eveything that goes with it, including lenses and a couple of film holders. I plan on trying this backpack frame and just strap the bag to the back of it. That way, I don't have to try to get a ready made pack that is large enough for the big cameras.

In case you are interested, the duffle bag is made by Fishpond (fishpondusa.com) and it is the Yellowstone wader/duffle bag. I have used it on it's own before with the 8 x 20 and the shoulder strap. The first half mile from the car goes fine, but the half mile back is torture. That's why I'm looking into the back pack frame.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use a Tenba PBH mounted on a Sherpa Cart to haul my Canham 8x10 kit around. I doubt the pack would hold a 12x20, but the cart would easily carry a much larger pack or case. It's quite strong and has large bicycle wheels that allow it to travel over some pretty rough trails. The handle of the cart can be positioned to keep the cart in a horizontal position when at rest. If the pack or case opens like a panel backpack, you can then access the equipment directly without having to set things on the ground.

I use large industrial velcro cable ties to hold the pack to the cart. This allows me to quickly detach the pack if I need to carry it over terrain that the cart won't handle, or where the cart isn't allowed. Remounting the pack just takes a few seconds.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Alot of good ideas. I liked the ladder with wheels and a tripod head.

Although not suitable for backpacking, some other ideas include a double baby jogging stroller or a double, convertable biking trailer.jogging stroller (the latter is pricey but unique).

http://www.joggingstroller.com/Baby-...back.pro#specs
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin