Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,619   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Backpack for 12x20

I know, I know, a back pack for 12x20?!?!?!

but yes, I actually do want to research finding a backpack for 12x20. Ive done some extensive searching over the last few days on lf.info and here on APUG and have found a few vague references to those that have fashioned their own unique solutions to backpacking a 12x20.

But I thought itd be a good thread to hopefully get any ideas that recent users of 12x20 have invented or discovered.

I have an XL rolling suit case that is a damn near PERFECT fit for my 12x20 Folmer & Schwing and use it to store and haul the 12x20 and a few holders in. It works wonderfully but for those times when the 2" wheels wont suffice, well its a huge pain to haul from a single handle strap.

Perhaps my best options is to get a rolling utility cart with larger diameter wheels that would travel over rougher terrain better (any links or suggestions on a good simple rolling cart would be helpful as well).

But if I were to "require" a back pack, does anyone have any suggestions.
    I plan to stop by a local outdoor gear store (REI type store) and test out a few Osprey wheeled backpacks I researched the other night to see if theyll work. Any other suggestions? links? Inventive ideas/solutions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How big is your back??
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Send Bruce at Photobackpacker an email, he might be able to help. I don't know if he's got anything to handle a 12x20, but it's worth a shot, anyway.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, I tried Bruce as well for my 7 x 17 ....but he said he couldn't help...at least he was open and upfront about it...I use a lowepro supertrekker for my 7 x 17....but gee, 12 x 20 is really big....you know it might fit....

Guys I shoot with acutally use a wagon with big pneumatic wheels for 'rough' terrain...to carry all their crap. I use a wagon too and put my backpack, tripod, etc.. into the wagon. $59 bucks at home depot (vigaro). Works well on trails that are fairly 'groomed' - even ones that are rough as the big wheels will work on sand/go over rocks (smaller) and not get stuck...

So, I can get to a point with the wagon and then 'backpack' a bit if necessary....

I also know folks to use a baby three wheel stroller...

best of luck.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sorry, here is a picture of the wagon......again, I got mine for $59 at Home Depot...it's lighter because the bed is plastic..holds several hundred pounds, and collapses nicely. and has a neat way of 'dumping' which can work well for unloading your gear...and with big wheels goes over a lot of terrain...

http://www.beststuff.com/images/articles/031806a4.jpg

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    How big is your back??
    big enough to carry this camera... if I can find a backpack to fit it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Perhaps look for a huge used Mountainsmith pack, might fit. I see them often at the used gear shops here, but Boulder probably has a lot more used gear floating around...

MEC in canada has some nice cost efective packs and rolling duffle bags (with shoulder straps so you can use them like a backpack if needed)

www.mec.ca , that's .ca for canada

but 12x20 is quite big

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    I know, I know, a back pack for 12x20?!?!?!

But if I were to "require" a back pack, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Quit smoking ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Quit smoking ...
    hahahahahaha

David, you crack me up!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Quit smoking ...

hey ... wait a sec ....wouldnt the "quit smoking" be more fitting if I was asking for advice on a motorized cart with 4WD capabilities so that I could haul my wheezing lazing ass around?

I am young and fit and revvin to go

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin