Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,625   Online: 1060
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,730
    Lee, I would have never thought of that! Thanks, I will have him check it out.

    Edit: Amazing! I'll bet they are one and the same...

    http://www.doddcamera.com/home/about-us.php

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    111
    Images
    1
    Robertson made big wooden copy cameras, I haven't seen one THAT big, but it could well be. Nice table and rails if you like that sort of thing.
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

  3. #13
    Michel Hardy-Vallée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montréal (QC)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,351
    Images
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Wet plates remained popular for a surprisingly long time for repro, but eventually all went over to conventional film.
    That's a fact that has always pricked my curiosity: why indeed would repro shop do the unwieldy job of coating 30x40 wet plates? Better sharpness at that time compared to gelatin emulsion?
    Using film since before it was hip.


    "One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

    My APUG Portfolio

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,412
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    That's a fact that has always pricked my curiosity: why indeed would repro shop do the unwieldy job of coating 30x40 wet plates? Better sharpness at that time compared to gelatin emulsion?
    Because the collodion process (wet plate) made the best repro negatives. It is as simple as that. A wet-plate negative is practically grain-free, thus the grain does not produce inteference with the dot pattern screen. You state "coating 30x40 wet plates". I assure you that even though newspapers were larger than they are today, there would be very very few repro negatives coated at 30x40... The text of newspapers was not printed by offset, the linotype slugs were either printed directly, or a stereotype mat was made and a plate was poured (lead metal) to fit on the press. The photos would have been screened with a camera such as this, but even those were made into relief plates for printing.

    It is only much later that whole pages of typesetting were photographed with a repro camera for making plates for offset printing.

  5. #15
    Michel Hardy-Vallée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montréal (QC)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,351
    Images
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Because the collodion process (wet plate) made the best repro negatives. It is as simple as that. A wet-plate negative is practically grain-free, thus the grain does not produce inteference with the dot pattern screen. You state "coating 30x40 wet plates". I assure you that even though newspapers were larger than they are today, there would be very very few repro negatives coated at 30x40... The text of newspapers was not printed by offset, the linotype slugs were either printed directly, or a stereotype mat was made and a plate was poured (lead metal) to fit on the press. The photos would have been screened with a camera such as this, but even those were made into relief plates for printing.

    It is only much later that whole pages of typesetting were photographed with a repro camera for making plates for offset printing.
    Still, based on the photo of the repro camera Kino posted, and if it is indeed using wet-plate, it must have been quite a job when big negatives were needed.
    Using film since before it was hip.


    "One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

    My APUG Portfolio

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,412
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Still, based on the photo of the repro camera Kino posted, and if it is indeed using wet-plate, it must have been quite a job when big negatives were needed.
    Oh, absolutely, no doubt. My point was that even though the camera was BIG, most of the work was probably smaller in scope.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    146

    Big Camera using glass plates

    Glass plates have the best film flattness - big film bends and sags etc.
    Robert

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,944
    Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    Glass plates have the best film flattness - big film bends and sags etc.
    Robert
    and it was for this reason that tmax was sold in plates upto just a few years ago - aerial and scientific photography requires this sort of thing ...
    ask me how ..

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    That's a fact that has always pricked my curiosity: why indeed would repro shop do the unwieldy job of coating 30x40 wet plates? Better sharpness at that time compared to gelatin emulsion?
    Phototone has it. I can add nothing.

    Cheers,

    R.

  10. #20
    Charles Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Colorfull, Canon City Colorado
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,723
    I also can add nothing, however Roger and phototone have hit the nail square on the head. I back their explanation
    100%.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin