Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,230   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

BIG Camera -- Ideas on use?

A friend, who is also a cinema historian, sent me a photo of a person he is researching. This photo, reproduced below, shows him standing next to a camera he ran in the 1905 ish era.

One of the companies he worked in that era was for Dodd-Rogers in Cleveland, Ohio making halftones, but he is unsure of the pedigree of the camera or if this was taken there or in San Antonio, Texas.

I told him I would post the photo here for comments -- any comments?

Whatever you come up with, might help him ID the location and process being used in this photo.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails greg_5.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's for portraits, a little man sits inside the camera and with a paint set and easel, paints a picture on canvas while the person poses.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, its an early Paint-a-roid...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe 1:1 full size copies of things to go to press (copywork) ?
    like a "stat camera" ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Kino,

I'd be 99 per cent sure it's a repro camera for making screened negs. To clues: the rails on the floor (the camera moves ONLY to and fro) and the narrowness of the 'studio' behind the rail to the left (no room for 'creative' lighting).

Wet plates remained popular for a surprisingly long time for repro, but eventually all went over to conventional film.

Formats were vast, typically up to 30x40 inches with endless reducing backs. I've used one at the studio where I started as an assistant: we used it for making liths for masks, etc., not for repro.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Kino,

I'd be 99 per cent sure it's a repro camera for making screened negs. To clues: the rails on the floor (the camera moves ONLY to and fro) and the narrowness of the 'studio' behind the rail to the left (no room for 'creative' lighting).

Wet plates remained popular for a surprisingly long time for repro, but eventually all went over to conventional film.

Formats were vast, typically up to 30x40 inches with endless reducing backs. I've used one at the studio where I started as an assistant: we used it for making liths for masks, etc., not for repro.

Cheers,

Roger
    Would completely agree, the fact that one operator is wearing an apron I think further supports the wet plate idea. The plateholder is, I believe, lying on the floor to the left of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I salvaged a repro camera from a dumpster a few years ago. The camera was really junk, I just wanted chassis that the camera rolled on, thinking someday it could be used in building an 8x10 or larger horizontal enlarger. Like Roger's camera, this one had a back that had ever reducing sizes for plates or film. The back was also in good shape.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Isn't that Jim Galli on the right?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone, I will inform him of your learned opinions!

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know if this is pertinent at all, but Dodd Camera has the only remaining pro photo shop in Cleveland that I'm aware of. They have a web page and you may be able to contact someone knowledgable there.

Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin