Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 723

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Nikkor-M 450mm for ULF

The Nikkor-M 450mm is nearly universally espoused as a lens for the 12X20 camera. I've owned one for a long time and used it often on 8X10. Putting it to use on the the 12X20, though, I'd say, yes, it covers, but the image degrades substanially at the edges--a natural effect of the Tessar design. So, I've started to wonder, do others who use this lens not notice or care, or is the prevailing opinion that when contact printing it doesn't really matter? I ran into the same characteristic using the Nikkor-M 300 for 8X10: the softness at the corners was noticeable--and, I felt, problematic--in the prints.

Having asked these questions, which are mostly subjective, is there a lens in this focal length that will cover 12X20 and be sharp across the field?

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by John Snyder; 06-11-2007 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    19" Dagor.....and 16 1/2" Dagor stopped down

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    19" Dagor.....and 16 1/2" Dagor stopped down

My experience with the 19" Dagor is that it did not cover the 12X20 format on the edges any better than the 450mm Nikkor-M.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about the 19" f:11 Series IV Dagor? I've used one on 8x20 but not on 12x20. Granted, lower contrast and center sharpness given its age and lack of coating.

Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I haven't seen a dagor yet that was sharp across the field until after f32. But if razor sharpness is you goal then a dagor wouldn't be a good choice anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Folks,

RobertP raises the essential question: What lenses cover 12 x 20 razor sharp to the edges at infinity? Not many below normal FL! Certainly many Dagors are sharp in the center, depending on how you define center. I have a 12" Gold Dot that's sublime on 8 x 10.

My 19" f:11 Series IV Dagor is certainly not as sharp/contrasty as the 12" Gold Dot, but it allegedly (according to the former owner, a recognized ULF photographer), covers 20 x 24 wide open. The LCVM would seem to substantiate that claim. But still, not as sharp as a modern lens if there was one in this FL with this angle of coverage.

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    f64...solves a lot of problems at the corners

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    you may want to consider the schneider fine art 550 xxl. Although I have never used one and it is a tad longer than you are inquiring about, I've heard a lot of good reviews about them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the input. Would that I could give the 550 XXL a try, but it's a little out of my range now. The one thing I can't tell, and am curious about, is if others have been dissatified with the performance of the 450 Nikkor-M on 12X20 film.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John,
    I have been very happy with the performance of my 450 Nikkor-M lens on my 12x20 Wisner, but my subject matter often does not require absolute sharpness out to the corners since I am making mostly portraits and nude studies. I have shot some streetscapes and with careful composition the slightly soft corners in a contact print are not displeasing to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin