Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,149   Online: 889

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Jim and Charley...

You've found the most difficult aspect of using one of these lenses!

Where do you set the aperture? How much fuzz do you allow / want?

Different subjects require different settings and therein lies the whole problem of the choices you need to make for a successful photograph.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I hope this is not a stupid question, but here goes anyway: how do you produce those different speeds with a Packard Ideal shutter? I thought it was either B or 1/25 (sort of, if you're lucky). Or is this holding the Packard open and then using your patented shutter system (two black cards at right angles to each other)?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hollmann View Post
    I hope this is not a stupid question, but here goes anyway: how do you produce those different speeds with a Packard Ideal shutter? I thought it was either B or 1/25 (sort of, if you're lucky). Or is this holding the Packard open and then using your patented shutter system (two black cards at right angles to each other)?
    Butting in, I'll note that using the Packard is a bit of an art, even in the "Instant" mode. Squeezing the bulb with different presures can give results from about 1/25 to 1/8 or more, though risking shutter-stutters and hang-ups at slower speeds. An evening with a shutter-speed tester and the Packard teaches a lot, and I still make a few practice squeezes before pulling the dark slide.

One can also do multiple instant exposures, though reciprocity failure can creep in with many films.

Neutral density filters are also handy, as soft focus lenses do well in hard (meaning often bright) light, and get their effect at wide apertures. It's nice to have the option of a multiple-second exposure in sunlight on a 400 speed film wide open...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hollmann View Post
    I'll add a little to Mark's excellent answer. Most Packards have a pin that selects for instant and bulb. In bulb mode it is very responsive to negative air pressure. So you squeeze to open and release the bulb to "suck" it closed again. It's possible to get about 1/8 second doing this. Slower is simply holding the air pressure a moment longer before the bulb sucks it closed. With practice you can listen to a Nikon FM's 1/4 second and get a perfect 1/4 with the packard. Same for 1/2, 1, etc. In instant, a hard squeeze will give a very repeatable 1/25th 1/30th. An easier squeeze will give a longer exposure. I've grown so comfy with them that it's rare indeed for me to be spoiled these days with a modern shutter.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot, Mark and Jim! I have a Packard on a 9 inch board that came with my 360mm Heliar, and haven't got round to using it. This will help a lot when I get started. And once I order a bulb.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jim,
    Where is the pin you mention on the Packard shutter?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    I'll add a little to Mark's excellent answer. Most Packards have a pin that selects for instant and bulb. In bulb mode it is very responsive to negative air pressure. So you squeeze to open and release the bulb to "suck" it closed again. It's possible to get about 1/8 second doing this. Slower is simply holding the air pressure a moment longer before the bulb sucks it closed. With practice you can listen to a Nikon FM's 1/4 second and get a perfect 1/4 with the packard. Same for 1/2, 1, etc. In instant, a hard squeeze will give a very repeatable 1/25th 1/30th. An easier squeeze will give a longer exposure. I've grown so comfy with them that it's rare indeed for me to be spoiled these days with a modern shutter.
    I have a Packard with two air cylinders, one opens and closes the shutter for focusing, and the other air cylinder is the instantaneous only and no pins to select function mode. Then I have a larger one without any place to install a pin.
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    Jim,
    Where is the pin you mention on the Packard shutter?
    Actually the pin was included in the original boxes when they were new and was mounted out in front on the wood lens board. Nowadays they are largely missing but if you are looking at the piston side of the shutter, look near the top mid-right area above the piston and hopefully you'll see a little protruding round thing. Flip the shutter over and you'll see a matching hole where a small finish nail can go in as replacement for the original pin.

There were 3 types in the old days. A #5 did not have this feature. It would only open and close with the bulb, period. A #6 is as I've described above. With the pin in the hole it is in instantaneous mode. No pin equals bulb mode. A #8 is the one with 2 pistons. One for instant and one for time, or bulb.

Does anyone know which issue of VC mag had the great article about these about 6 years ago?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin