Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,490   Online: 966

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

<warning> Boring BS Soft Focus Pics </warning> Spencer Portland Achromatic Meniscus!

You know the drill by now.

Here's a link that illustrates what an Achromatic Meniscus will look like at different apertures, same subject.

Some AM's are; the Venerable Kodak Portrait lens, The Spencer Portland I used, Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus, and a host of others. None are common except perhaps the Kodak.

They have a fine look both sharp and soft. Tell me what you think, and list your favorite AM's that I didn't mention.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Ac..._Meniscus.html
    Last edited by jimgalli; 07-07-2007 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Jim,

I think your first link has a space rather than underscore between the second Achromatic and Meniscus. The second link works.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Clarence. I always seem to get some little booger to mess it up :rolleyes:
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is something about the eyes on that owl that make it look somewhat freakish - that and the fact that it is sat atop a cigar...

The range of sharpness that lens covers is certainly pretty dramatic - very handy, I imagine, in the studio!

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had no idea a meniscus could be that sharp!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow, I had long ago forgotten about White Owl cigars! I vaguely remember them being advertised in the 1960's which, by then, would NOT have been blended with Havana (while not a cigar smoker, I can still commiserate with the loss of Havana's [legally, that is] in the U.S. - stupid embargo - glad to know many honor it in the breach!)

Anyway, as you might guess, I favor the sharpest shot - especially as it shows the "HTL" inside the tobacco leaf stencil. But that might be because the close-up shot seems to be like an advertisement where you expect to see sharpness to read all the text.

Still getting over seeing the name White Owl again!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Wow, I had long ago forgotten about White Owl cigars! I vaguely remember them being advertised in the 1960's which, by then, would NOT have been blended in Havana (while not a cigar smoker, I can still commiserate with the loss of Havana's [legally, that is] in the U.S. - stupid embargo - glad to know many honor it in the breach!)

Anyway, as you might guess, I favor the sharpest shot - especially as it shows the "HTL" inside the tobacco leaf stencil. But that might be because the close-up shot seems to be like an advertisement where you expect to see sharpness to read all the text.

Still getting over seeing the name White Owl again!
    I have a funny story about "White Owls".

Seems one of my best buddies girlfriends really had a profound dis-like for me. I know, it's hard to believe. So she asks me and my new bride over for fancy dinner. About a week prior she calls Pam and asks, is there anything that Jim really doesn't like? Pam says, yeah, he doesn't like mexican food. So we get over on the evening and she has 7 fancy courses of diabolical mexican food. All I could eat was bread and butter.
    Well, not being a person to get mad or hold a grudge, I visit their home about a week later with some of those White Owl Cigarillo's. Smoked a whole pack of 'em in her living room. Smog so bad in there you couldn't see across the room. I believe she probably had to re-paint to get rid of the smell
    My wisdom rubbed off and my pal got rid of her within the month. That was about 1976 iirc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Actually, unless I am mistaken, White Owl cigars (in some form) are still available. One of the cheap "drugstore" brands now, along with Roi-Tan, and Phillies and Kind Edward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    I have a funny story about "White Owls".

Well, at least she didn't leave the mayonnaise jar in the sun and have you over for a tuna fish sandwich!

Ach! He taunts us with his pretty glass! Great lens, that Spencer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the way the highlights go diffuse. That lens earns its reputation.
    Sanders McNew
    My Flickr stream

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin