Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,872   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

ULF - do you always make an exposure?

Went out yesterday to the lake with the express intent of making at least one 12x20 image.

Drug the camera across 1/2 mile of mudflat, set it up, storm coming in, nice light, etc... TOO MUCH WIND.

Waited about 2 hours, never died down enough to make me feel good about making an exposure. Very frustrated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wind can sure be a decisive factor. My other problem is that sometimes the sun and clouds just don't cooperate no matter how many positive vibes I emanate.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure that it is just limited to ULF, Michael but I do understand your frustration.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You're a brave man letting your dark cloth blow in the wind like that.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I can relate to the frustration Michael... literally as Ive done that with the 12x20 as well.
    Many times Ive hauled out the camera... even driven hundreds of miles, and not exposed a neg. But its the ones in between, the ones that do work that seem to make it worth while.

what I want to know is where you got that fancy rolling cart

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    B&H carries them, and so do a number of other camera stores- it's made by Ruxxac I think. Very handy for hauling large burdens, and they fold more or less completely flat. The wheels fold in to the chassis.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I feel your pain....drove couple of hours to make 3 pics one time...But I try and enjoy the experience anyway. And as they say, beats a good day in the office...

Try and carry a big golf umbrella if it is really windy. This may allow you to shield for long enough to get an exposure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it is the same cart that was mentioned. I do remember not knowing how to pronounce the name, so that sounds familiar.

The umbrella trick is a good one. I'll see if I can't go to the golf store tomorrow and get one.

I want to head out to that spot again and try to make another negative while this monsoonal storm pattern is stuck above Utah. Problem is with the whole monsoon thing, it usually brings wind.

If I can get a few minutes of dead air I know I can make a nice image out there and it'll be worth dragging the camera across the mud.

It's rained today though, so I might have to rig up a backpack of some sort and haul it out that way instead of rolling it across the desert. We'll see what the weather brings tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wesco also makes a hand cart like the Ruxxac. The box is what caught my eye.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    You may want to try a Vigoro garden cart at home depot for around $60. Inflatable wheels for rough terrain and its plastic so lighter, but holds up to 300 pounds (maybe more). And it collapses for easier transport...
    the bigger wheels, inflatable, may make it through the mud? Holds my 7x17, holders, tripod, cooler, etc. Can't forget the cooler...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin