Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,165   Online: 885

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    Scan 12x20 negatives? Yikes. I can't imagine myself doing that. Can you tell us what resolution you scan a 12x20 at and what size file that results in?

I think a cost/benefit analysis (for me) would say that making a duplicate exposure might be the answer (Unless of course one is already setup for that kind of file processing - which I'm not.)

These are all great answers, I appreciate everyone sharing their shooting technique.

john
    12X20 at 1200 dpi grayscale and resulting file is 660mb.
    7X17 at 1600 dpi grayscale and resulting file is 580mb.

If cost analysis were the only consideration you would be right in that making a duplicate exposure might be a better solution. But most films available for ULF (TMY excluded) do not provide enough contrast for the processes I print with, regardless of developer and length of development time. So my choice is either scan and make digital negatives, or make enlarged negatives on high contrast lith film. Both methods are capable of equally good results, but I prefer the former as a more productive work flow.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I only have two film holders but my ULF shots are normally pre-scouted so it's not a problem. I would love to have 4 total but the film holder builders would probably charge me a fortune to build custom 30x40cm holders.

I also do two identical exposures of each image so I can adjust the second neg if needed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not sure if 5x12 qualifies as ULF, but that's about the biggest I shoot regularly. I'm limited by film holders to six total shots in an outing right now. I'll have a max of 12 shots with 11x14 when I get the camera and film holders squared away. It will be less of an issue with the 11x14 as right now I'm only set up for glass plates on the 11x14. So I'm not going to haul that around any more than I absolutely have to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'm not sure if 5x12 qualifies as ULF
    Not really, it's even smaller than 8x10, but you're welcome with your tiny banquet camera that features a lot of the difficulties of ULF (film & holders...)

G

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, the diagonal for 5x12 is slightly larger than that of 8x10.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    Actually, the diagonal for 5x12 is slightly larger than that of 8x10.
    The diagonal might be larger, but not the number square inches:

80 si for 8x10"
    60 si for 5x12"

BTW, Diane, how is your 5x12 going? I didn't see any images made with it since your first shot. I hope it's all OK.

G

Shooter
    ULarge Format

ULF Exposures per Setup

I take eight (8) 12x20 film holders into the field whenever shooting - 4 holders per AWB film holder bag. I shoot two sheets per image unless I am getting low on film and then revert to one sheet per image. The cost of film is irrelevant compared to the cost of "getting there" and the real possibility that I will not be able to capture the same image again. On trips to the Utah Canyon Country in 2005 and 2006 I shot 125 and 100 sheets of 12x20 respectively in 13 days. Some days I shoot everything loaded and some days I only shoot 4-6 sheets. I also carry an 8x10 Hobo camera with 24 sheets of 8x10 loaded on these trips and shoot with both cameras. On a good day I'll shoot 16 sheets of 12x20 and 12 sheets of 8x10. When shooting in the studio, I frequently shoot 12-16 sheets per session. In my opinion, if you are shooting 12x20 or larger, you must forget about the cost of film and commit yourself to the image, regardless of cost.

Bob Herbst

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Beuatiful photography and website Bob!
    www.bobherbst.com
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    For a day trip, I take two holders with me. For a 3-4 days trip, I bring all 7 holders (4 of 9.5x20" and 3 of 8x20")and my 8x10 as a backup with 10 holders. I usually make 2 exposures per set up at the beginning of the trip, then one per set up because I quickly run out of films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 6 holders for 11x14 I made myself. As for exposures I guess you need to define what you consider a scene or setup. I could expose 6 sheets on one scene with a couple variations in camera position and filtration. But on average I expose 2 sheets, the extra like Zebra for possible variations in development.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin