Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,587   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

S&S Film Holder Recommendation

I just watched a used 11x14 film holder go for 355.00 dollars on Ebay-Yikes!
    I just had to post that the S&S film holders list for the same amount new, and I can vouch that they are of excellent quality- I have a number of them. No need to risk buying used, when you can get it new!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I second John's recommendation.

It is ridiculous to pay the asking or bid prices for used holders when the S&S are so good at or near the same price. I have two 7x17's and they are great.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I'll second Jim's second of John's recommendation.

I have a lot of them and am very satisfied.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm mostly satisfied but with a couple of caveats. Will Whitaker and I traded a 12X20 14X17. I ended up with 5 of Sandy's holders in Tonopah and Will ended up with 3 new S&S holders in North Carolina. Both directions things got so distressed from the 8% humidity here and 55% there that neither of us could get a darkslide to seat, and the bulkhead was all warped. After 6-8 months in either place they had settled down again. But what happens if I go to NC to shoot or Will comes out here? Maybe it's just the bigger holders that get so nervous.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've been using Alan Brubakers ULF holders and they aren't to shabby either. As a matter of fact I'll put them up against any holder on the market.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ah yes holders! I too was watching that one! Construction has begun on the 11x14 walnut camera and I need a holder or two. I think I will take the recommendation and buy new. I did get some 8x20 holders off EBaythat match the one I had. It looks like I'll need to replace a dark slide but other than that they are in great shape.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim, Were these cherry or walnut holders? I've had a holder manufacture tell me that the cherry has the least amount structural change over time due to the elements as opposed to walnut. But that could also just be his opinion.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Jim, Were these cherry or walnut holders? I've had a holder manufacture tell me that the cherry has the least amount structural change over time due to the elements as opposed to walnut. But that could also just be his opinion.
    I'll admit I don't really know. The 1417's were the very light colored wood and the 1220's were the latest darker color.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have 10, 14 x 17 Cherry S&S holders....have used them in Nevada, Arizona and Colorado, previously they were in Texas with Luis DeSanto...no problems, they will be going to the Florida Keys in the upcoming months.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    I'll admit I don't really know. The 1417's were the very light colored wood and the 1220's were the latest darker color.
    Both the wood and the plastic dark slides expand and contract slightly with changes in humidity, but not always equally and at the same rate. Normally this does not cause a problem, but when the change in humidity is great the slides may bow, which makes them very difficult to remove. The solution is to remove the slides and re-insert them with the other side facing out. This should cause the bow to reverse. The wood and slide should reach equilibrium overnight, or in a couple of days at most.

The problem is very difficult to predict because the slides are cut from large sheets of phenolic plastic which release pressure in different ways, depending on ambient humidity. Some people never experience a problem, but a few do so we are aware of the issue. I have been looking for an alternative material for the dark slides that is more stable but so far have not found a material that is viable for us economically. If the fixes we suggest don't work we just replace the dark slides.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 08-28-2007 at 12:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin