Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,098   Online: 915

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Apo-Germinar F9/600mm

I recently purchased this lens as a leap of faith. I eventually want to set up an 8x20 system and was hoping this lens would cover the format, maybe even with a few movements. As I said it was a leap of faith in that I purchased the lens without knowing exactly what its capabilities are, but it was so inexpensive and already mounted in a board that I went for it. The aperture is smooth all the way down to f/128, the optics seem in good order (is this a multi coated or single coated lens?) except for a little dust between the elements.

I understand that the true way to see what I’ve got is to shoot with it but I am going overseas for a year and won’t have time to play with this lens on any format before I go. Any practical experience would be appreciated.
    -Logan Group

Pacifism in the face of murderous barbarism is a self-correcting disorder.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm not sure it quite covers 20"x24", but it should cover 8"x20" just fine....hopefully Sandy or Kerry will know more about this guy for you.
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know the exact coverage at infinity as so far I have only used mine on a camera enlarger. Image quality is superb.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Logan,

You can find a lot of info on this lens in this thread.

See posts #29, #32, #33, #34 and #35 for info on the coverage. The 600mm should cover 8x20 wide open with a bit to spare, and have an image circle in excess of 600mm stopped down. Should work nicely on your 8x20 (if the front standard an handle the > 4lb. weight).

The lens is single coated. Is yours a Zeiss or a Docter Optics? They are the same optically and mechanically. The only difference is the Docter lenses are newer.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kerry,

Thanks so much for the quick response; you are confirming for me that this was a great purchase. As to if this is a Zeiss or Docter Optic the lens states aus JENA DDR on the front which I assume means Docter Optic.

Thanks to everyone who responded, this is a truly great forum.
    -Logan Group

Pacifism in the face of murderous barbarism is a self-correcting disorder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Group View Post
    Kerry,

Thanks so much for the quick response; you are confirming for me that this was a great purchase. As to if this is a Zeiss or Docter Optic the lens states aus JENA DDR on the front which I assume means Docter Optic.

Thanks to everyone who responded, this is a truly great forum.
    No that means Zeiss Jena, DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik- East Germany). It would say Docter if it were.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin