Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,297   Online: 844

Thread: Big lens ?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Big lens ?

I have a very old lens (14 x 17) and the numerical notation on the aperture ring is: 64, 44, 32, 22. When opened to its largest wide open aperture, it is in the 64 position. (?)
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dave, I have an old Dallmeyer Rapid Rectilinear 18x16 that has the aperture settings...7.5-10-15-25-50-100. With 100 being the smallest aperture. I haven't seen one like this before either. This is about a 25" lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Dave, I have an old Dallmeyer Rapid Rectilinear 18x16 that has the aperture settings...7.5-10-15-25-50-100. With 100 being the smallest aperture. I haven't seen one like this before either. This is about a 25" lens.

Robert this lens is between 22 and 25 inches when projecting on the wall...will try and get it on the camera this week....the brand is a Calhoun. I just loved the name and it has a 14 x 17 designation so just had to have it..."Calhoun Photo Materials Company-Rapid Perspective" 14 x 17....there was a Calhoun camera on e bay this week with an 11 x 14 lens on it with the same nomenclature etc...it was an 8 x 10 camera and name plate I believe Grand Rapids Mich. probably a wolly rectilinear ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that was camera on the bay was a Korona rebadged for Calhoun, whomever that was...

Hope to see you in Owens Valley next Month Dave.
    Matt
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I have a very old lens (14 x 17) and the numerical notation on the aperture ring is: 64, 44, 32, 22. When opened to its largest wide open aperture, it is in the 64 position. (?)
    Could it be the daimeter of the opening, in mm?
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    Could it be the daimeter of the opening, in mm?
    Good thought,

Just measured, the smallest aperture is 22mm and the widest is 55 mm.

Interestingly the stop mechanism stops much short of the lens diameter which is 65 mm.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Robert this lens is between 22 and 25 inches when projecting on the wall...will try and get it on the camera this week....the brand is a Calhoun. I just loved the name and it has a 14 x 17 designation so just had to have it..."Calhoun Photo Materials Company-Rapid Perspective" 14 x 17....there was a Calhoun camera on e bay this week with an 11 x 14 lens on it with the same nomenclature etc...it was an 8 x 10 camera and name plate I believe Grand Rapids Mich. probably a wolly rectilinear ?
    Dave, congrats on that lens! I had my eye on it but did not have the $$$ at the time. Just as well, need to finish the 8x20 before the Owens Valley workshop.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dave, I have a lens which has a scale on the shutter which reads in the EX scale with a value of 11.7 as the wide open aperture and 5 (I think) at the smallest aperture.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure sounds like someone took that adjustable aperture completely out of the barrel and re-installed it 180 degrees out. What would happen if you took it out and flipped it over and re-installed it? Only possible on the most primitive of lenses, but........that be my guess
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's either reversed, or it could be a classic example of the AN aperture system.

There were several different aperture systems in use around 1900: The familiar f-stops (but as often as not with a different base number than 1, Germans liked the 4.5 - 6.3 - 9 - 13 - 18 - 25 - 36 - 50 series), Stoltze, "French", US, mm opening, 1/32" opening, and several others I can't remember at the moment.

But by far the most popular one (especially in the UK) seems to have been the dreaded AN. I have one very fine lens marked with 1-2-3-4-8-10, and through trial and error I have determined that these are entirely Arbitrary Numbers.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin