Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 677

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Manufacturing an insert for Jobo 3063 Drum

I’m trying to gauge the interest level among ULF film users for a precisely manufactured insert for the Jobo 3063 drum. The proposed product would allow even development of sheet film between 8X10 and 12X20—something I haven’t been able to achieve consistently with the 3063 alone.

Because I was dissatisfied with the results of film developed in the 3063 drum, used as provided, I started experimenting with an insert based on the design of the Jobo professional drums, with the film wrapped in cylinders within the 3063. Since there isn’t any standard tubing of any kind that has the right dimensions, it took awhile to come up with a prototype, but I recently finished and tested an insert that allows development of two 12X20 films. There are two thin-walled (but strong) tubes with an inner circumference of 12.25 inches. Fitting two tubes of this size in the 3063 requires that they be slightly oblong, but this appears not to affect the evenness of development. The agitation is vigorous and random enough by this method to produce neutral areas--such as open skies--that are smooth and free of the “banding” characteristic of the negatives I developed in the standard 3063. I should add that I have quite a bit of experience using Jobo drums and that I worked hard to produce good negatives with the unmodified 3063—succeeding infrequently, and not knowing quite why when I did. In short, the results weren’t predictable.

As constructed, the insert would weigh, in combination with the 3063, no more than the 3005 drum, and have some slight relief running the length of the cylinder walls so the antihalation coating would be released—probably a splined pattern with just enough depth to support the film well, while allowing solutions to circulate under it. The user would slide the insert into the drum and put a bead of caulk around the top edge with silicone to seal it. (Silicone is durable, but can be removed so the insert could be taken out if desired--though the enhanced performance would likely make it unnecessary.) The insert would use a maximum of 1000mm of solution and would require a lid from one of the other Jobo professional drums (3005, 3006, or 3010)--the lid supplied with the 3063 won’t work because the cup underneath projects too far into the drum.

The prototype I made was intended only to see if the configuration would work. Having determined that it will, I’m interested in having a long-lasting version injection molded. By the way, it would be helpful to find out what kind of plastic the Jobo 3000 series drums are made of, if anyone happens to know. I only need one insert, but, due to the cost of production, the only way for me to do this would be if other ULF users wanted such a product, too. I don’t know yet what the setup costs would be, but if there’s enough interest I would explore it further and come up with a price. For now, send me a personal message on APUG or at jps924@gmail.com and tell me if this is something you would buy if priced within reason. If there’s enough interest, I’d have computer-generated drawings made and send them to a fabricator for pricing on molds and manufacture. Then I’d need to collect some money to go forward. I’ll try to answer any questions you may have. Thanks.
    Last edited by John Snyder; 09-26-2007 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mistake in titile

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John,

In an earlier post on the subject I wrote "I am trying to develop three sheets of 7x17 at a time in a 3063 drum. Currently I do two sheets at a time in combined 2560 & 2830 tanks. My goal of course is to develop more sheets in the same amount of time with the same quality." If you can do that I am interested.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    I’m interested in developing 7x17 in the Jobo. I applaud your efforts on the design, but I wonder if you are making this too difficult. Earlier thought was to fabricate some sort of screen with tabs to hold various formats, which would slide into a standard Jobo 3063. There was a discussion on a LFF thread, but nothing came of it. But regardless of the design, I’m interested in whatever you come up with. Thanks John!
    —Eric

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    John,

In an earlier post on the subject I wrote "I am trying to develop three sheets of 7x17 at a time in a 3063 drum. Currently I do two sheets at a time in combined 2560 & 2830 tanks. My goal of course is to develop more sheets in the same amount of time with the same quality." If you can do that I am interested.

John Powers
    I had JOBO make me two polycarbonate inserts for JOBO print drums while they were available. One for 11x14 and another for 12x20 and only used each about twice. The reason was simply because it took so much time to develop each sheet of film and efficiency was paramount to me in my quest to make photographs. Many of us have families and full time jobs so we do not have unlimited time to spend in the darkroom.

I soon discovered that I needed to learn to tray develop sheet film with precision to get the most out of my darkroom time and once I figured out how to accomlish this objective things started to kick into gear. I shortly got to the point where In 30 minutes I could process 12 ULF negatives (12x20, 11x14 or 8x20) in two batches of six with no scratches or other problems. I would be lucky to get two processed with the inserts in that time and while the inserts would certainly do a good job, the trays accomplished the stated objective every bit as well.

At the end of the day it is about accomplishing the objective of making photographs and as we all know there are many diverse ways to get this done.

Just my $0.02

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Michael,

Sorry for the delay. I didn't see your post. Yours is an argument that I have heard often from people I respect and believe. Using the Jobo for me, though slower than the tray method, helps to isolate me from the chemicals which are causing some allergic reactions even with Nitrile gloves, face mask and filters, and a hurricane ventilation system. If the problem gets worse I would have to quit film altogether and learn that other stuff. Just another factor I have to consider.

Thanks,

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Possessing a 3063, I too would be interested in any kind of insert you could make that would enable 2 12x20 or 4 11x14 sheets to be developed at the same time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John,

Would it be possible to process 14x17 film in this drum/insert combo? It doesn't sound like it would be (based on the 12.25" inner circumference of the inserts), but if it is, I'd definitely be interested.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    I would be interest in such an insert for my 11x14. Since we are are in the same "neighborhood," I would be glad to test your "prototype"!

Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann View Post
    .....Would it be possible to process 14x17 film in this drum/insert combo? It doesn't sound like it would be (based on the 12.25" inner circumference of the inserts), but if it is, I'd definitely be interested....
    The Jobo 3063 has a inner circumference of about 25" and is about 21" high.
    —Eric

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kerry,

I was able to *repeatedly* develop 14x17 ADOX CHS 100 film in a Jobo 2850 combo. In the endless debate re: developing ULF film in 2800 drums, i.e., "I get bands" - "I don't" - "I get bands" - "I don't" ... I personally ended up in the "I don't" category :-)

It works just fine for me then with ADOX film, that is. Maybe with some other film the raised ridges do wreck the development, who knows.

But as I have also a 3063 I am certainly interested in a 14x17 insert - better safe than sorry.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin