Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,984   Online: 864

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters View Post
    Michael, what is the purpose of the 'show'? Is it to sell prints - possibly, or just demonstrate ulf, photography in general, etc. etc.
    Hi Scott,

The purpose of the show is to get work hung together that shares a common theme...in this case the common theme is the panoramic format. It's not necessarily to demonstrate ULF (although there will be a few ULF prints for sure). A show to demonstrate photography in general typically does not include a wide variety of panoramas.

This venue is in 'small town' Utah. There may be the occasional patron who will come in and fall in love with your print and want to purchase it. I would not hold my breath though, the majority of those who will see your work will be students and faculty. Read: poor and cheap

The reason being is that I am a big believer in the 'finished' print. I never let a print go out that hasn't been properly matted and mounted...i.e a finished print...whether it's for show or 'tell'. If we want to demonstrate the 'art' of photography and the magical quality of ULF and contact prints, might I suggest a different approach?
    The reason I decided to ask for unmounted prints was to make it easy for folks to ship larger prints, and easy for those prints to be sent back out as part of an exchange.

I understand your hesitation to send in an 'unfinished' print. I admire your passion to show your work at its best. There have been several who have expressed both a wish to not participate in the print exchange portion of the exhibit, and also want to show their work framed.

I would suggest that you could participate with a print you consider 'finished' with the understanding that you would recieve your print back in it's original shipping container provided there is adequate return postage or a shipping invoice filled out.

The other issue is that you are only dealing with a week which is tough to get adequate exposure?
    Agreed. It's not nearly long enough for me, but beggars can't be choosers. The gallery space is available free of charge, which appeals to me (since I am both a student *and* faculty, which makes me poor *and* cheap).

Just some thoughts. Again, meant to be constructive, please..

I am only tyring to help here....and I would eliminate print exchange as it will only make things more difficult for you...just one more headache you don't need.
    I understand completely, and do appreciate your comments and suggestions. I am deciding to make the print exchange portion 'optional'.

Thanks again,

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hello Michael,

I would be interested in participating. I am interested in both the show and print exchange. I could submit either a 12 x 20 image or 7 x 17 image, both of which would be in camera. They could either be Pt/Pd gumovers, or wet plate depending on how much work I can get done over the next several months.

Hope to be kept posted,

Monty aka Zebra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if I can offer some suggestions...hehe.

I've never seen a 12x20 wet plate. I think that would be pretty amazing actually.

Either is great, but of course the 'weirder' the better. Thanks for your interest!

Watch the thread for updates...

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    Hello Michael,

I would be interested in participating. I am interested in both the show and print exchange. I could submit either a 12 x 20 image or 7 x 17 image, both of which would be in camera. They could either be Pt/Pd gumovers, or wet plate depending on how much work I can get done over the next several months.

Hope to be kept posted,

Monty aka Zebra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This gives me incentive to start shooting with the 5x12...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Michael,

When is the submission deadline for this?

Would be interested in exhibiting and print swapping in ULF sizes only

Steve
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Michael,

When is the submission deadline for this?

Would be interested in exhibiting and print swapping in ULF sizes only

Steve
    Steve,

I want prints to arrive no later than Dec. 15th. I anticipate that there will be several prints that will be caught in the Christmas mail, so giving a few weeks lead time can provide a bit of a buffer.

An ULF print exchange might work. I myself will be probably entering a large gravure, and there are a few others who will be entering ULF/alt. work.

There is a good possibility that this is turning into a 'traveling exhibit'. I am arranging for gallery space at Brigham Young Univeristy, and trying to arrange gallery space at a university in Idaho.

If there are folks who are interested in arranging for space in their own locales, let's see if we can't give this show some legs.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    Steve,

I want prints to arrive no later than Dec. 15th. I anticipate that there will be several prints that will be caught in the Christmas mail, so giving a few weeks lead time can provide a bit of a buffer.

An ULF print exchange might work. I myself will be probably entering a large gravure, and there are a few others who will be entering ULF/alt. work.

There is a good possibility that this is turning into a 'traveling exhibit'. I am arranging for gallery space at Brigham Young Univeristy, and trying to arrange gallery space at a university in Idaho.

If there are folks who are interested in arranging for space in their own locales, let's see if we can't give this show some legs.
    Michael,
    Is there any restriction on subject matter, i.e. can nude images be submitted?

Diane
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    Steve,

I like the idea of a traveling show, but do we have a Mailing/Shipping Address for the submissions?
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shipping Address:

Michael Slade - Panorama Show
    c/o Art Department
    4000 Old Main Hill
    Logan, UT
    84322-4000

Alternative Address (my home...)

Michael Slade - Panorama Show
    12822 S. 3160 W.
    Riverton, UT 84065

Anyone else looking for gallery space for a travelling show?

Diane, I find the idea of figure work shot as a panorama very appealing. I do know that at Utah State University, there will be no restrictions on subject matter being included in the show. At BYU, a private church-owned institution, there would be restrictions on figure work (go figure...).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    FWIW, I tend to agree with Scott, you only have one chance at making a first impression.

Give us some more to go on Michael.

Thanks Steve
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin