Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,219   Online: 675

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    around here, you have to factor in the added weight of a gallon of water....if you want to get back at all!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I wander into the ULF forum... and find out all of youze is crazy.

To me, 5x7 is ULF and the whole setup for backpacking (B&J 5x7 Field, four or five holders, a darkcloth, meter, and tripod had better come in under twenty pounds. Or I'm not taking that hike.

*L*
    Oh, and don't forget the 2 1/4 folder for recording the scene in color.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    So I wander into the ULF forum... and find out all of youze is crazy.

To me, 5x7 is ULF and the whole setup for backpacking (B&J 5x7 Field, four or five holders, a darkcloth, meter, and tripod had better come in under twenty pounds. Or I'm not taking that hike.

*L*
    Oh, and don't forget the 2 1/4 folder for recording the scene in color.

tim in san jose
    Tim, it is really mind over matter with a healthy dose of adrenaline thrown in!!! My dune location is open and I'm trying out a new pack for the 8x20 so it may happen soon. I'll keep everyone informed.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I admit I had to look up the Guadalupe Dunes, I didn't know they were so extensive, I only had knowledge of Oceano. I went there in the late '70's expecting to see the same sand dune that Edward Weston photographed but saw only dune buggies. I guess I was in the wrong location.
    Is the cut off to the Guadalupe Dunes at the river bridge next to Santa Maria, the long bridge over what looks like a dry river bed? I've been that way many, many times. I usually stop at Anderson's split pea restaurant in Buellton for lunch or dinner.
    http://www.peasoupandersens.net/

This is what I saw, '82 to present.
    http://www.bob2000.com/pismo.htm

Where do you drive up, park, and walk to the dunes with photographic equipment? The history is more complex than I imagined at first glance.
    http://www.duneguide.com/closed_area...lupe_dunes.htm
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, I think you take the Main street exit off of the 101. Take it all the way to the very end. It ends at the park. I usually get there at about 6:15am and wait for the ranger to open the gate. The only other people I've seen have been surf fishermen in the six times I've been. Head out south east from the parking lot about 2 miles. Get on the dunes as the light comes up and it is amazing. They do not allow ANY vehicles on these dunes. I shot this with the 4x5 and Efke 25.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, now that's what I'm talking about, a quiet place for contemplative work. Nice composition, was that the Zone VI? Have you taken an 8x10 there?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Jim, now that's what I'm talking about, a quiet place for contemplative work. Nice composition, was that the Zone VI? Have you taken an 8x10 there?

Curt
    Curt, yes that was the Zone VI with Efke 25 and minimal agitation in Pyrocat-HD. I did take the 8x10 out on the dunes and the light was not as good and I had some trouble with the film when I developed it. I had a lot of streaks and what looked like railroad tracks running through some very nice comps. The film may have been the culprit. It really pissed me off. I was out about 5 miles on the dunes without a backpack and to have development problems...... Well I think you understand. You can get on the dunes until the bird nesting which starts in February and runs through October.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin