Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,465   Posts: 1,597,451   Online: 821

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks, neat ideas, I had missed that post.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann View Post
    Problem is there is very little in the way of "prime" lenses in these focal lengths.
    Kerry
    Of course you right but then one thing you can do now with the internet is find like minded people fairly easily.

It's interesting to see comments about the production runs of the recent Cooke LF lenses, and then remember Wisner & Golden Busch had lenses specially made too elsewhere.

Yes the Schneider Fine Art lenses are very expensive, but 50% of that is the dealers mark-up, and a few more percent is Schneider's sales & marketing costs.

So just as ULF users approach Ilford & Kodak for film it would be possible to approach a lens manufacturer to get a new ULF lens manufactured preferably based on one of their previous designs. It's a thought but Wisner etc managed it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, Michael Kadillak (spelling?) has been working along those lines, so far with no results fit to share. From which I conclude that although approach may be possible, a successful outcome -- a small run of affordable lenses that are good enough -- isn't easily obtained.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rolyn Optics has some interesting offerings, with names that suggest they bought the designs from some of the demised European optics houses (Wray, Dallmeyer, Boyer). Their 'Copy' and 'Process' lenses include what must be dialytes (Apo-Ronars, Apo-Artars) but also lenses that may be Dagor clones.

I don't know what their minimum order would be, but if anyone is serious about 'getting a batch made to order' they would be worth contacting.

http://rolynoptics.thomasnet.com/cat...ses?&plpver=10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Struan, the relevant line though is "We handle several manufacturer's lines" which indicates they are agents.

My point earlier was that Cooke were producing lenses in double figure runs, rather than hundreds, its easier to get 80 or 90 like minded people together than a few hundred.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They do all sorts of stuff, and are more than just re-sellers. It's possible they just bought up the warehouse stock when Dallmeyer et al folded (in which case they may sell you a single lens :-) but it's more likely they bought the rights to the designs and will farm out the manufacture when they get a suitable order.

I'm not interested enough to email them and find out. But then I lucked into a 19" Dagor at a stupidly-low price :-)

PS: the point is, they will handle the management of the manufacture and testing of the lenses. In fact, that is exactly what they are good at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Rolyn Optics has some interesting offerings, with names that suggest they bought the designs from some of the demised European optics houses (Wray, Dallmeyer, Boyer). Their 'Copy' and 'Process' lenses include what must be dialytes (Apo-Ronars, Apo-Artars) but also lenses that may be Dagor clones.

I don't know what their minimum order would be, but if anyone is serious about 'getting a batch made to order' they would be worth contacting.

http://rolynoptics.thomasnet.com/cat...ses?&plpver=10
    Struan, Rolyn is a distributor, not a manufacturer. They have some "new old stock" lenses on hand, but not all of the ones listed on their site.

I've discussed buying a few Boyer lenses from Rolyn with John Ross, their president and, I think, owner, never did because the prices he quoted were far too high. If you try to buy from Rolyn, good luck.

I don't know when Wray qnd Dallmeyer folded, Boyer closed in 1982.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A nice/cheaper alternative to a 24" Artar is a 21 1/4" Ektanon. I have one in shutter and it actually has more coverage than the 24" Artar. It is razor sharp ( speaking in terms of a contact print of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Ian, Michael Kadillak (spelling?) has been working along those lines, so far with no results fit to share. From which I conclude that although approach may be possible, a successful outcome -- a small run of affordable lenses that are good enough -- isn't easily obtained.
    That is a very correct statement Dan. The design is obtainable but domestic manufacture and proper assembly for a small lens offering I concluded was financially beyond the ULF market's ability to sustain production. Cutting corners to let the numbers work would compromise to many critical variables. Simple economics. After I finish the next TMY sheet film deal I want to investigate the Chinese option since that could be much more cost effective. Personally I would love to be able to say Made in the USA with a produced ULF lens, but when many of these home grown optical specialty companies are working with the government and our tax dollars it is a long hard pull all the way.

Cheers!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    A nice/cheaper alternative to a 24" Artar is a 21 1/4" Ektanon. I have one in shutter and it actually has more coverage than the 24" Artar. It is razor sharp ( speaking in terms of a contact print of course)
    Robert, I have one also. Great lens for the 8x20. What shutter is yours in? Thanks.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin