Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,901   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

BIG ART(ar)'s coverage?

Any experience with the longer Artars?

32 inch and 48 inch or others?

Coverage?

Thanks
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The title has no bearing on the context

Probably great process lenses but while use-able as taking lenses they won't be as good as the manufacturers prime lenses until well stopped down, they are flat field lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

does now

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    does now
    Thanks JD

'art' has been used as jargon for artars (like wooly). I have a 19 inch red dot which I use as a taking lens and have found it to be excellent on the 8 x 10. Often I like the "look" better than that of my modern 450 Fugi C. Can t afford the Fine Art XXL lens , so thought maybe a long artar would suffice...need to cover 14 x 17.
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 10-28-2007 at 09:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Thanks JD

'art' has been used as jargon for artars (like wooly). I have a 19 inch red dot which I use as a taking lens and have found it to be excellent on the 8 x 10. Often I like the "look" better than that of my modern 450 Fugi C. Can t afford the Fine Art XXL lense , so thought maybe a long artar would suffice...need to cover 14 x 17.
    The coverage of Artars is considered to be about 50 degrees or so at f/16 or f22. However, the image circle is quite a bit larger so if you stop down to f/45 or f/64 you should get acceptable performance for contact printing with a 24" Artar with the 14X17 format. With an Artar of 30" or more you should have more than enough for 14X17, even with some movements.

Sandy King

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My quick and dirty rule of thumb has been that an Artars coverage will be just slightly larger in diameter than its focal length.
    Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The coverage of Artars is considered to be about 50 degrees or so at f/16 or f22. However, the image circle is quite a bit larger so if you stop down to f/45 or f/64 you should get acceptable performance for contact printing with a 24" Artar with the 14X17 format. With an Artar of 30" or more you should have more than enough for 14X17, even with some movements.

Sandy King
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Probably great process lenses but while use-able as taking lenses they won't be as good as the manufacturers prime lenses until well stopped down, they are flat field lenses.

Ian
    Problem is there is very little in the way of "prime" lenses in these focal lengths. In fact, there's nothing in "primes" longer than 550mm - assuming you consider the 550mm Fine Art XXL a prime. For modern plasmats, there's nothing longer than 480mm.

The only modern lenses this long are the Nikkor 600/800/1200 T-ED and Schneider 600/800 APO Tele-Xenar telephoto sets - which have a lot less coverage than non-telephoto designs of the same focal length - and the 600mm Fujinon C and 1100mm Schneider Fine Art XXL , which both happen to be Artar-type designs.

Even though they were optimized for 1:1, the Artars perform very, very well at infinity. Late shutter mounted Artars were even factory adjusted for smaller reproduction ratios (up to 20:1, depending on the focal length - the same as most modern "prime" lenses).

I was lucky enough to recently acquire a late model 42" Red Dot Artar in exceptional condition for about 15% of what a new 1100mm Fine Art XL would cost. I doubt if I'll be able to tell any difference in 14x17 contact prints - at least not $4000 worth.

nd in the 42" focal length the coverage is "more than I'll ever need". Even if I use the very conservative 46 degrees of coverage, the image circle comes out to over 900mm in the 42" focal length. That's enough to cover 20x24 with over 100mm to spare - and that's a conservative figure or this lens.

Kerry
    Last edited by ReallyBigCameras; 10-28-2007 at 11:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry,
    I guess it's one more to keep my eye out for then for this camera:

Right now, the 306 Componon covers 16x20, but my choices are pretty slim for 20x24 (which is why I haven't made a 20x24 back yet.)

erie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Pat,

That is a nice efficient design! congrats....I do nt see how the center extension board moves forward?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave,
    the focusing stage is leadscrew driver, similar to the Cahminox, though using full extension drawer slides instead of $$$$$ linear bearings, it's a scaled up design of my 8x10 field camera, more info here:

and here:

http://www.f295.org/DIYforum/cgi-bin.../m-1190336644/

One thing about it, It sure does make my C1 look like a small 4x5!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin