Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,781   Online: 1001

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

16 1/2 Artar for 11x14

Has anyone tried or used or uses a 16 1/2 inch RD Artar on an 11x14 inch ULF? I'm going to start working on my 11x14 and have the Artar and a 14 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar as my only large lenses. I do have the TR and could use a single element such as 21 or 29, or do I absolutely need a Dagor for perfection in contact printing?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not sure the Artar will cover at infinity. I think you need a 19" for that. The image circle needs to be 17.8" to cover.

There may be more information in this current thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/...-coverage.html

According to Tracy Storer there:
    My quick and dirty rule of thumb has been that an Artars coverage will be just slightly larger in diameter than its focal length.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The 16 1/2" will cover, but the corners will be soft. They might be ok stopped way down. When I first got my 11x14 the only lens I had which would come close to covering was a 14" RD Artar. It illuminated the whole plate at but even at f90 the corners were complete mush.

The 14" Ektar will cover with respectable corners, but with only modest movements before they go soft.
    Last edited by JG Motamedi; 10-28-2007 at 11:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 14" RD artar got a lttle soft at the corners on 8x10 unless it was dead center. Illuminated circle was small too.
    I've used my 19" artar on 8x20, with some movement, and it works well.
    Jamie

Shooter
    8x10 Format

16-1/2 Artar

Curt, I put my 16-1/2 inch artar on my 12x20 to see what coverage it would have. It clearly illuminated an 11x14 area with room to spare. I cannot state what the image quality would be at the corners on film. This is one of those things where you may consider trying it and judging the quality for yourself. I have discovered that many lenses cover more area than the stated "specs" but there is some degradation of teh mage. For some subjects (sky) it is not noticable. Give it a try and find out for yourself how well it will perform. Good luck.
    Craig

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I regularly use my 16 1/2 artar on my 7x17...corners are great too. It is a relativelyinexpensive lens as well. You should try it. Given the price you should be able to sell it reasonably quickly if it does not live up to your expectations.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin