Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,009   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Walter,

Well, last time I checked, Sandy King is not too far from the east coast of the United States - maybe 220 miles from Charleston, SC. One of the costs in getting an existing holder would be shipping to Calgary. If it is shipped within the US it would be quite reasonable. That is definitely the way to go. Let your woodworker look at an original. Your group will quickly save in time what you pay for the holder. I have also found that one can spend a lot of time and materials prototyping, which would be saved by seeing a very good functioning unit.

Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Clarence, we will. I expect we won't have a prototype camera until well into next year, but we'll see how it goes.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    We are making a new batch of 12X20 holders right now and they will have the same dimensions as AWB. Chamonix holders are also made to AWB specs. Lotus holders are not. You can get the dimensions from the AWB site noted earlier. However, I think it will be very difficult to build a holder without having a model to work from.

At this point we (S&S) have on hand a few older generation 11X14 and 12X20 holders that I will sell at significant discount over current retail. If anyone is interested contact me by pm.

Sandy King
    Hi Sandy,

I believe you stated in the future S & S holders will be to AWB specs? If thats true will the newer S & S 7 x 17 holders work interchangeably with the older ones I have that fit my Korona.

thanks

phil

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philsweeney View Post
    Hi Sandy,

I believe you stated in the future S & S holders will be to AWB specs? If thats true will the newer S & S 7 x 17 holders work interchangeably with the older ones I have that fit my Korona.

thanks

phil

Phil,

The change we are making to the 7X17 holder involves only the placement of the rib-lock. Width and t-dimension remain the same. In the past we have made the S&S holders with the rib-lock at different positions in order to fit specific cameras.

As you know the rib lock *must* drop into the groove to form a light baffle. Unfortunately the Korona standard was very loose as most of the camera were made one-off so in real life you find that the position of the groove relative to the opposite side of the back may vary by up to 1/2". For a perfect fit of a holder to Korona camera it is often necessary to adjust either the holder or the position of the groove in the camera back. Both adjustments are fairly easy to make so we don't believe the small change in specification will make much difference in practice for Korona cameras.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Whew good news. thanks. Though the details are not complete, I am having a 8 x 20 with 7 x 17 reducing back made to use S & S holders. I have 3 7 x 17 holders, one 8 x 20 purchased for the camera build and plan to get a couple more.

phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin