Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,869   Posts: 1,583,297   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sandy,

I was at Richard's in August and saw the back for your camera. I imagined it would put a HD TV to shame. I enjoy looking at a 8x10 ground glass and really enjoy my Ritter 7x17, but that huge 20x24 back really makes a guy green with envy. Enjoy your new toy!

John
    John Bowen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use a vacuum frame with my ULF negatives. I have used both a split- back print frame and a vacuum frame.I just feel I get a better registration with the vacuum frame. I have just recently started doing wet plate. Sandy, do you think it would harm the vacuum blanket in any way if I used the NuArc 26 1K with glass plate negatives to print albumen? Thanks, Robert

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As Sandy mentioned I have an Ebony 20 x 24. I use a Nu Ark 26 1K-s unit with a vacuum frame, although I am lusting after one of the Amerigraph units that Sandy has spoken so highly of, mainly for the lack of light fall off at the edges that occurs on the big Pt/Pd prints. Its not so bad on portraits but is noticable on landscapes and the urban/architecture prints. Maybe in the not too distant future. I work in Wet Plate collodion, although unlike Robert I mainly am doing ambrotypes and tintypes with the big camera and have delayed doing glass negatives until the film starts getting low. Film negatives stack so much easier than glass negatives at 20 x 24!

Sandy I hope you post some pictures of the camera from Richard when it comes in and of course it would still be nice to have a 20 x 24 hootenanny jamboree when it makes its way down south. I'm always game if I'm around. Busy time of the year, but then I know thats preaching to the choir for all of us.

As I've stated in other threads, the 20 x 24 is always welcome to be enjoyed by other Appugers if you find yourself near Asheville. As I side note my wife is a glass blower and has a conference in Portland next summer. We are contemplating loading up the family truckster and heading west with the 20 x 24 to get her there so maybe a gathering in various points west would be in order!

onward you ulf windmill chasers,

Zebra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    I use a vacuum frame with my ULF negatives. I have used both a split- back print frame and a vacuum frame.I just feel I get a better registration with the vacuum frame. I have just recently started doing wet plate. Sandy, do you think it would harm the vacuum blanket in any way if I used the NuArc 26 1K with glass plate negatives to print albumen? Thanks, Robert
    I don't believe the vacuum blanket would be harmed, but I would be concerned about the glass plate breaking. Several years ago I used a piece of anti-glare over the negative in a vacuum frame to avoid Newton rings and it worked ok until one day I got too much pressure by mistake and the glass broke.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Monty,

I will be sure to post some pictures of the camera, along with specifications.

Believe I read somewhere that the weight of the 20X20 Canham is expected to be about 55 lbs. I expect the RR 20X24 to weight less than half that, which should make it a lot easier for me to work with.

Sandy

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Monty,

I will be sure to post some pictures of the camera, along with specifications.

Believe I read somewhere that the weight of the 20X20 Canham is expected to be about 55 lbs. I expect the RR 20X24 to weight less than half that, which should make it a lot easier for me to work with.

Sandy

I am looking for an Apprentice Geezer model.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Pondering ULF weight

Well Dave,

I am not an apprentice (no sane person would accept my indentures), but I am a Geezer, and I do have Sandy's previous 20x24. Having a lot of fun with it. I must say that ULF gear weight is not something to be taken lightly.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    As I side note my wife is a glass blower and has a conference in Portland next summer. We are contemplating loading up the family truckster and heading west with the 20 x 24 to get her there so maybe a gathering in various points west would be in order!

onward you ulf windmill chasers,

Zebra
    Hey Monty, if you find you and yours in these parts (aka home) give me a call - anytime. Can't promise to be available, but would love to meet up with you - with or without the 20x24. Of course if you take the 20x24 out to some of the small towns around here - well, it might be the largest building in town . Seriously, if you ever find yourself out this way and have the time let me know - pretty sure I could scare up a few folks that would love to spend a day shooting with you - and I can even offer a medium format camera if you don't have one (8x10)...Matt could meet up with us with 1/2 of a 20x24!!
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy I've dial down my pressure significantly. I found that half of what initially comes out of a 26 1K as far as pressure goes is more than enough for film registration.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    vacuum frame user here as well. I circuitiously got a vacuum frame by way of Jeremy Moore (and clay harmon). Ive found it to be a breath of fresh air in simplifying contact printing these large 12x20 negatives. the vacuum doesnt pull much, but it is plenty for film registration.
    As Mike mentioned, would love to meet up with you if you were in these parts monty. The mere 240sq/in beast I haul around would likely seem a lightweigt in comparison to the Ebony or Sandy's RR. but the size seems to fit me well.
    Sidenote, I recently received an order of Apollo tissue in 20x24 to use for storing my 12x20 negatives. upon opening the tissue packaging and see the comparitive size of 20x24 in comparison to 12x20 is astounding, my ULF hat goes off to you 20x24 users. I hope that bug never bites me as it would undounbtedly turn me into the only homeless 20x24 shooter.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin