Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,605   Online: 796

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ULF Holders

The magic number for me is six. Therefore I have six holders for 8x20, 11x14 and 12x20.

12 exposures for any one ULF format is plenty for a cycle of ULF photography. That said I have yet to utilize all of my holders in one day of shooting.However, I firmly believe in having the potential should the opportunity present itself.

The more you shoot the better you see and the more holders you need.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The magic number for me is six. Therefore I have six holders for 8x20, 11x14 and 12x20.

12 exposures for any one ULF format is plenty for a cycle of ULF photography. That said I have yet to utilize all of my holders in one day of shooting.However, I firmly believe in having the potential should the opportunity present itself.

Cheers!

I am with Michael on the number six for ULF. Here is what I have.

7X17 -- Six
    12X20 -- Six
    20X23 -- Six

The other formt I use is 5X7. For 5X7 I have twenty-six holders.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    2 holders for 14x17 plus
    2 holders for 12x16 that work for 14x17 as well

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    12x20 = 3 Holders.
    I am looking for a good way to keep them dust free.

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    8x20 - 7 holders.... 12x20 - 3 holders + 1- wet plate holder

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post

I'm with Michael and Sandy on this one. I also find six holders to be my magic number in ULF. I hate reloading in the field. So, even though I have yet to burn through all 12 sheets in a single day, it's nice to have some loaded holders ready to go the next morning.

Depending on how you process your film, 12 is also conveniently divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6. So, if you process in trays, drums or hangers, 12 sheets of film seems to always divide evenly without an odd sheet or two left over waiting for the next batch of film to process. Of course, that's not always the case, but it seems to wok out nicely for me more often than not.

So, in 7x17, I have six walnut AWB holders. In 14x17, I have six Fidelity holders (and I don't even have the camera completed yet). In 7x17 I usually carry three holders with me if I'm hiking any distance from the vehicle and leave the other three in the car for later. Of course, if I'm working near the car, I just grab what I need when I need it.

In smaller formats, I have a lot more holders. I have more than fifty 4x5 holders. When I was shooting 4x5 in high volume, but hadn't yet switched to Quick/Readyloads, I liked to load up 100 sheets (two 50 sheet boxes) of Velvia before leaving for a week long trip. In 4x5, if the conditions were right, I usually averaged exposing about 20 sheets of film a day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes less. By starting the week with 100 loaded sheets, I had to reload only once mid-trip.

In 4x10, I have 15 holders. That also seems to work well for me.

In 8x10, I have 25 holders, but rarely seem to need them all. The only reason I have so many is that I got a really good deal on a case (twenty) of unused Fidelity 8x10 holders a couple years ago. I could get by with less, but when it comes to holders, I'd rather have too many than not enough.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    4x10 - 12 holders - 6 AWB wood & 6 Canham.
    8x10 - 24 Holders - Fidelity.
    7x17 - 6 Holders - AWB, and saving for 6 more?

I like having enough holders to load a full box (-1).

I always take the 8x10 and one of the Pano cameras for a trip and hate to change film during the trip.

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    11x14 -only two holders and they both leak...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    4x10 12
    8x10 40+
    12x20 6
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I want to meet the guy who backpacks a 12x20 with six holders and lenses. But not in a dark alley.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin