Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,038   Online: 1119

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Dimensions of 12x20 holder

Sorry guys, I keep bombarding you with questions. In addition to collaborating on an ULF camera build I'm working on a PhD and doing some for-fun portrait photography on weekends... so I keep putting this aside and coming back to it.

My friends and I have thought about it and we've decided that we really can't afford to buy a new holder outright to use as a template (in addition to our numerous other costs), so we're going to try to build de novo.

Now, I'm hoping one of you would be willing to help me out with a very simple set of measurements of the outside and inside dimensions of your 12x20 holder.

We need the total thickness, the actual outside width of the 12" dimension as well as the inside width (ie, the opening width), plus the length (not including dark slide) and inside length along the 20" dimension. We will use the riblock and T-distance from filmholders.com and then just build everything based on the architecture of a wooden 8x10 holder.

If anyone could help it would be tremendously appreciated.

Otherwise we may just design around some weird arbitrary size and have cameras that only work with our own weird film holders
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Take look at this AWB page:

http://www.filmholders.com/filmho1.html

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Walter,

I'll measure an S & S one for you later today. It was -36 C here this morning, although a little less brisk at the airport, so I have to chop more wood (I'm not making this up). No one actually lives at the Fort Smith airport anymore.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Walter,

I have sent you a PM with some information.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Clarence. NWT eh? I'm jealous (though maybe not in the winter, not so much because of cold but rather the extended darkness). I got to spend a couple of weeks in Hay River one January and the cold was kind of fascinating (who knew you could come back home from a three minute dog pee walk with solid earlobes and agony in your nose?) but daylight from only 11 to 3 (or whatever it was) was kind of hard to take.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, at least you don't need to worry about cold-storage for your film half the year. Just put it in a ziploc baggie and leave it on the back porch!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Hey, at least you don't need to worry about cold-storage for your film half the year. Just put it in a ziploc baggie and leave it on the back porch!
    At -40C or worse you might need to worry about keeping your film heated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin