Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,629   Online: 894

Shooter
    Large Format

Eureka! Jobo 3063 Insert for 7x17

Today I constructed an insert for the Jobo 3063 drum to hold 7x17 film and it seems to work well. I found a plastic shelf liner material at the Container Store in Denver: "Plast-O-Mat Ribbed Shelf Liner." It is smooth on one side and has ribs on the other -- about 3/16 inch apart. The material is 24 inches wide, more than enough to fit the 3063 drum. The ribs allow the solutions to flow behind the film.

I then attached "sew on snaps" that I got from a sewing store at the critical points to hold the 7x17 film in place. I didn't sew them in, but drilled a hole through the shelf liner, and snapped one side to the other. I used four snaps for each piece of film: two on one side, one on the other, and one at the back as a stop.

Finally, I attached each end of the shelf liner to itself with a one inch overlap using pop rivets to hold the assembly around the Jobo drum's inner circumference.

I tested the works by developing a extra exposure I made this morning. The film held in place throughout the process and the development seems to be even and satisfactory . I haven't printed the negative, and used an untested, sore thumb development time, so more work is in order, but it's encouraging.

A few comments, observations, and notes:

> I assembled this for one piece of film only, but I can add additional snaps so the assembly could hold three pieces of film.

> The snaps have a beveled edge that provides a place to slid the sheet of film under and hold the film in place.

> The snaps are brass with a black paint finish. If the black paint breaks down, I would remove the paint entirely, and just use a unfinished brass snaps, which should not be affected by processing chemicals. I had hoped to find a similar snap in plastic, but wasn't successful.

> I'm concerned about using the pop rivets as they are steel and would like to find something else. Any suggestions appreciated.

> Adding additional sheets of film could affect how this works, e.g., will the shelf liner support three sheets of film? I think it will be OK, but will not know until I get a chance to test the assembly with all three sheets.

A few pictures are included.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3050.jpg   DSCN3053.jpg   DSCN3060.jpg   DSCN3062.jpg  

Images
    Cool. Looks like you could get another sheet in there too.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kapitman View Post

> I'm concerned about using the pop rivets as they are steel and would like to find something else. Any suggestions appreciated.

> Adding additional sheets of film could affect how this works, e.g., will the shelf liner support three sheets of film? I think it will be OK, but will not know until I get a chance to test the assembly with all three sheets.

A few pictures are included.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
    With regards to the pop rivets, McMaster (and I'm sure others) sell plastic pop rivets, or you could use nylon push or drive rivets, they have a pin that when pushed in expands the fingers on the other side.

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the McMaster suggestion. I'll try to track down plastic pop rivets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Auto supply stores are another source for similar devices in plastic, which are used for holding door panels and other trim.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Fantastic. Go for it. Congratulations. I really want one that will do three sheets of 7x17. I have a 3063 and repeat my earlier offer to help testing if needed. I use Rollo Pyro in a CPP-2. Let me know if I can help.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe I will be able to get three sheets on the insert. I'll be traveling for the next 10 days, but will do some more work on this when I get back to home base.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin