Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,725   Online: 751

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cocklin View Post
    I think the more appropriate measurement is by pain.

Large format = moderate lower back pain when hiking more than 1 mile roundtrip.

ULF = a crippling inablility to move the next morning after a 1 mile hike.

Some days I shoot LF, some days it feels like ULF.
    Paul, don't you mean a crippling inability to move the next morning after a 100 yard hike???

erie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    erie, you may have hit on something there. ULF has the ability to alter distances. It makes 100 yards feel like a mile.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    So, by your definition, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film, and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 sheet film are not Large Format at all but medium-format, even though they are sheet-film?
    I've already told you the absolute dogmatic truth. Do not question it with examples of ambiguities because there are no ambiguities.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I still like the definition another website uses, that LF starts at 100 square centimeters. That includes 9x12cm, but excludes 6.5x9cm.

By stretching that definition a little, ULF starts at 600 square centimeters. 8x10" is 500 cm^2, so falls below that limit. 24x30cm (9.5x12") is 720 cm^2, and is above the limit.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    7x17 ... - anorexic format
    Isn't that what you used to shoot?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Isn't that what you used to shoot?

indeed, and given my the "robustness" Ive come to... the natural progression was a larger and more proportionally "husky" format...
    hence the 12x20 now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ULF is just a buzzword, but it's nice to be a self-proclaimed member of such an exclusive - but open - club.

Most consider 7x17" already ULF, but that's only valid for the longest side, a 7" high negative is not very impressive but if you combine that with almost 2.5 times its width...!!!

I do agree that anything larger than 8x10" could be considered ULF, only because of the practicability in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    7x17 ... - anorexic format
    well, YOU made vertical images with it!

Scooter, can I make you yealous when I say that I'm going to Fontainebleau end of december? Not for bouldering but for making 7x17" images.
    OK, call it gross and decadent

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I think I once posted that "ULF" is what you say when you realize you've just bought a very large camera, and you realize you need more darkroom space, and more storage space for the negs and proofs, and you can't make small proof prints, and you need a bigger lightbox, and even your garbage can isn't big enough for the rejects.
    Splendid description, David. I should stick that to my darkroom door.

G

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Definition of MARKETING:

Is like telling my vertebrae that when I am carrying around my 14x17 I am shooting "medium format"

Anyway, I like that. "Medium format" ... Yeah...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Scooter, can I make you yealous when I say that I'm going to Fontainebleau end of december? Not for bouldering but for making 7x17" images.
    OK, call it gross and decadent
    G
    G
    Im envious.... that bulbous brainy textured sandstone will make for some fascinating imagery.

although, I will attempt to return the jealousy favor and tell you I plan to visit Hueco Tanks in February purely to photograph with the 12x20
    :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    G
    Im envious.... that bulbous brainy textured sandstone will make for some fascinating imagery.

although, I will attempt to return the jealousy favor and tell you I plan to visit Hueco Tanks in February purely to photograph with the 12x20
    :o
    Hueco Tanks?

No thanks, I bet you'll take 10 sherpas to carry a ton of batteries and lights to capture those undercling pockets

G

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin