Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,246   Online: 818

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Grrrr.

Don't get me started on Mr. Wisner. He doesn't have customer services and I would never forward his cameras to anyone.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Wisner quality

I too was thinking of purchasing a Wisner camera, but necessarily on the "used - but excellent, and like new". market After some inquiries, I noted a repititious response: Wisner cameras were, for a while, well made and reliable. However, after a time the quality control became very poor, and new cameras with assorted defects arrived at vendors and end users. Repairs became difficult to obtain, and the promises noted previously were never kept. Not knowing whether or not the factory had a "bad day" when a given camera was built, I decided not to take a chance on a used Wisner camera-despite the wonderful reputation of Mr. Ritter. There are other cameras on the market, made of both wood and hybrid materials. Thus, there appeared to be no need to "take a chance" on a camera that might have been, originally, "a lemon". One wonders if the "new Wisner factory" is making cameras any better. If Ron Wisner is serious about getting back into business it is possible that he might have to sell some cameras "on approval" before he will be trusted again. Just my two cents.

Edwin

I'm really sorry to hear there is so much dissapointment in Wisners service years after he has for all practicality...dissapeared. This is why it is so good to have guys like Richard Ritter available and willing to fix the problems that Ron will not address. Ron is responsible for most if not all his service problems as head of the company and can either take resposibility for this or not. I myself at times have been frustrated w/Ron but he always came thru in the end for me without fail. He would straighten out any and all of the issues I had, no matter how small but... I live near the factory and can just drive over for a fix if necessary. If I lived further away the situation might have been different. Basically as I read it Ron loves cameras and loves making them. Eventually his business got too big to manage effectively and he overloaded on it and made the decision to downsize extensively to the point of invisibility for everyones sake. There are those out there who love his product and those who are less than enchanted. At this point in time for those who are interested let me know what you want and I might be able to get it for you but there are no guarantees. He has essentially dissapeared but will make orders now and then for those interested. He is more than capable of making an entire camera himself and is also lucky to have Marie there to help as well with the bellows/lacquering/etc. Money I would think is not the motivating factor here so those who order will have to wait and if the camera does not arrive on time will receive a refund.
    One more thing...please get your ULF filmholders from one of the major companies extant. This should be obvious to anyone in the ULF field. As far as the 20x24 camera specs...Ron does not want to make these anymore because of Polaroid's bankruptcy issues and general instability.
    There are many companies out there now, here and abroad that will be happy to make a ULF camera for you. Probably faster than Wisner. For those that need a Wisner or rear gearing etc. He might make one for you. For those that can't wait...you know where to go...
    Happy Holidays.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Gary,

I would have sent that order to Quality Camera (S&S) or Fred Newman (AWB) so fast and never looked back. A year is waaaaaay toooooo loooong to wait for a couple film holders.

Just my 2 cents,

Not sure what your time line is but we (S&S) just made a batch of 30+ holders in 12X20 size and could deliver to your door in 2-3 weeks. You can order directly from S&S (me) , or through QCC in Atlanta, or through Richard Ritter for his cameras or modifications.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "For those that need a Wisner or rear gearing etc. He might make one for you. For those that can't wait...you know where to go...
    Happy Holidays.[/QUOTE]

No where?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
    ...At this point in time for those who are interested let me know what you want and I might be able to get it for you but there are no guarantees.....
    A kind offer, Emile, but I simply can't see why anybody would go to Wisner for anything anymore. I mean, one "might" be able to get something? No guarantees? Huge delays? If my Wisner camera ever needs repairs, I'll send it to Richard. If I need a new camera, I'll go to Richard or one of the many other serious and dedicated makers who can and will provide excellent service. Wisner has little - if any - credibility in the LF and ULF camera market anymore.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just a note on S & S holders or other makers in Wisner cameras. It would be a very good idea to have the back checked out to make sure it is calibrated correctly and the holders fit.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    From what was posted on Tuan's site, Jack Deardorff has sadly passed away.
    That is a great lose. well it would be nice if someone in the family would carry on. looks like Wisner is slowly retiring and who knows how long for ebony to do the same.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mr Ebony (I don't remember his real name) is, after all, Japanese. He'll probably die in his workshop at the age of 95. It is my understanding though that he does have staff to do the day-to-day machining and assembly, so even if he does die, the company will carry on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Let's not put Mr. Ebony in the grave just yet please. With all the talk we hear about film going away which can be very discouraging, the idea of such a fine camera manufacturer going away anytime soon is too much to think about. I'm trying to be upbeat, and sometimes that is hard.
    Robert N.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin