Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,719   Posts: 1,670,038   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I assume you're talking view cameras and not copy cameras. I have one up and working 20x24 view camera which gets used often. I also have an old, wooden copy camera which I plan to modify to take 20x24 and 24x24 wet plates. Right now the back is about 26x30. I just bought for a song a 20x24 inch copy camera "complete with all the bells and whistles" from a hospital in Omaha: $350, local pick up, 4 lenses and vacume top. I haven't figured out what I'm going to use it for. If you count copy cameras, I think the numbers will go up considerably.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I definitely meant view cameras that one would take into the field. Process cameras of this size were probably built into the thousands.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a 20X24 project I have a 20X24 back from a process camera, with one plate holder for sale. The back looks pretty much complete, except for missing ground glass.

20X24 wet plate collodion, anyone?

If interested contact me by PM.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have my 20x24 homebuilt, and assuming that I make some filmholders soon (would love to buy some S&S holders from you Sandy, but the funding isn't there, lith film is what it's gonna be for now.) I'll be taking it out sometime early January for first light to Shawnee in Southern IL, weather permitting.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 20x24 Bellows, that's a start isn't it? Making a camera isn't a problem, the film holders would have to be made, that's some work indeed, I can think of some very good and deserving subject matter too. I bought the bellows a year ago with an 8x20 in mind but the bellows is really nice and is 20x24 plus some and 10 1/2 x 10 1/2 on the lens end. I could see myself shooting a film or two a month in this format. Is 35 inches of draw enough?

I still have the materials for an 11x14 but with all of the talk of 20x24 who knows?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt,
    It depends, there are some simple, easy to fabricate ways to make film holders.

erie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When Hiromi at Ebony made my 20 x 24 he was making two others at the same time. One was on its way to the Northeast to shoot fall color (that's all I know) and one was on its way to Indonesia. I don't know how often they were used or for what purposes (project oriented, or personal consistent use) but I know they were being made. I believe Badger Graphic has one Ebony 20 x 24 in stock (or did over the last year).

For myself I use mine for Pt/Pd printing and my Wet Plate Collodion work. I use the camera consistently. I definitely have certain long term projects in mind but I also use the camera for individual shots that feel worthy of the effort--and it is effort. For me I got into this format as a lifetime pursuit. In part I took up Wet Plate Collodion so that I was in control of always being able to use the camera with or without support from film manufacturer's. That being said I try to support the yearly runs that get made and my freezer has some boxes waiting on use.

I hope more take the plunge as it is a wonderful format and when it all goes well the results take your breath away.

best,

Monty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends, there are some simple, easy to fabricate ways to make film holders.
    This is true, they don't have to look like Lisco/Riteway and be double sided. A thin box/container made light proof will work, I don't mean to under state the advantages of well made holders, the precision is remarkable, but for utility, it's still a light proof container. I won't need a dozen either, though a few would be handy if I were at the Grand Canyon.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Although it is not a 20x24. I'm planning on moving up to 16x20 this year. I guess the 20x24's need a little brother. Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder if anyone can estimate how much 20x24 film is sold annually? I'm amazed that it is available, and from multiple sources, given the low volume.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin