Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,230   Online: 697

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The RR 20X24 uses carbon fiber tubes. I would post a photo of the bed but am traveling and can not at this time. Even so, it is fairly complicated visually and I am not sure it would be easy to understand even with a good picture.

If I were to build a 20X24 camera again I would strongly consider the modular approach taken by Kerry Thalmann. I think the mono-rail design would be easier to assemble for most persons than a traditional wood bed design.

Sandy King
    Yes, it would be nice to be able to put the "bed" or rail part of the camera on the tripod and then attach the back etc.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    I know very well that even a homemade camera will be expensive, but not as much as the prefabricated ones. And I get to have all my ideas made in the camera by making it myself.
    You also get to make a choice. I am not being critical of any home builder, I think it is a wonderful thing. The choice is to have a rather amateurish unfinished looking result or to pay the price in research and development that the manufacturers have paid which could easily exceed the price of a manufactured camera. I know that I personally have gone through an immense change in thinking from when I joined with Seattle Camermakers to consider building home made cameras until now when I am finally making the final steps toward meaningful mass production.

Looking to lighten your design load by copying the best features of other cameras is a good idea. That lessens the R&D load considerably.

I wish you all the luck.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would tend to agree with Barry, if you have the means, definately buy. Though appearance is pretty far down on my list of priorities when I build a camera, were I to refine the design, I'd probably spend more time on such things.

erie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I want to build my own in order to learn more about the building process and what parts go into making a camera. I am looking at all the cameras I can, in order to get inspiration. I am fortunate enough that I have the heloo from the local techinal school where they teach design, toomaking and have all kinds of machinery like 3D printers, CNC cutters and a lot of other machinery that I dont know what is. I only have to pay for materials (at cost), all the work will be done within the teaching. Since I have no plans for going into any kind of manufacturing or mass production, I dont have to think about what other people think about my design too. I have started to blog about my projecthere: http://www.apug.org/forums/blogs/falkenberg/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I dont have to think about what other people think about my design too.

I just read my answer from a few days ago. I apologize. My intention was not to sound snotty or discourage you in any way. Your project sounds like an interesting one. I meant that it is a tremendous amount of work having to make a part or assembly and then make it again and again until it functions the way that you, the designer want it to work. That is what I meant when I mentioned the looks of the camera not the cosmetics. Obviously the number one problem facing the home builder is functionality not appearance. The other angle to what I was saying was that the investment in R&D that will be required is huge for a one time construct. Please let me know if I can help you in your build.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Quality is the ticket...if one is seriously planning projects with this format, the highest quality equipment is the only way to go.
    Horse Pucka!!!

Run what you brung, and a camera is only, in essence, a light tight box.

The OP may have more time than money, and if that is the case I totally support his endeavor. You'd really be surprised what a careful and patient man can do with fairly simple tools.

Being from other interests I can cheerfully say that I know of dedicated amateurs who grind their own lenses and mirrors for telescopes accurate to microns, for backyard astronomy, over periods of many weeks.

View cameras are comparatively simple compared to the things amateurs in other hobbies, like motorsports, electronics, sailing, etc.. regularly build and trust their lives to.

rant...rant....etc..etc..rant, rant rant...GRRR!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the support. I am slowly working my way towards a camera design that I think will work. Read about my ULF progress in the blog section.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks for the support. I am slowly working my way towards a camera design that I think will work. Read about my ULF progress in the blog section.
    Falkenberg,

I read your blog entry on your camera design project and and couldn't help but note your comment about standards in ULF. I have been quite concerned about the absence of standards as they apply to ULF film holders (see my thread in FEEDBACK and DISCUSSION on film holder standards), and by extension, ULF camera backs. More and more equipment choices have become available lately, as interest in ULF grows. New companies are sprouting, and people are now making their own, as you have decided to do. I personally would like to see some standards set so that we don't have to keep reinventing the wheel, constantly spending needlessly in order to adapt. If we all had cameras that used the same sized holders in the various formats, we wouldn't have to worry about rib lock alignment, T depth, or O.D. measurements, and we wouldn't have to send our camera backs out for re-machining. The resulting interchangeability of accessories would greatly reduce the cost of ULF, which is high enough already.

Sandy King has been generous enough to share his film holder specs with us. I would really like to see the community embrace them as the definitive standard.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do You have a link to the specs proposed by Sandy King ?

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin