Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,563   Online: 980

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

20x24 what is Your favorite detail

After reading all the threads on 20x24 cameras I can see that there are a lot of different cameras out there both home made and cameras from different "factories".

I would like to know what You consider the best detail on Your 20x24 outfit. Please post pictures of the details.

I have a clear idea of how my homemade 20x24 camera should be, but I am open to ideas from others. I am not out to start a production of 20x24 cameras and I am not in the market for a camera (unless it is dirt cheap).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    After reading all the threads on 20x24 cameras I can see that there are a lot of different cameras out there both home made and cameras from different "factories".

I would like to know what You consider the best detail on Your 20x24 outfit. Please post pictures of the details.

I have a clear idea of how my homemade 20x24 camera should be, but I am open to ideas from others. I am not out to start a production of 20x24 cameras and I am not in the market for a camera (unless it is dirt cheap).
    The single most important detail of the 20X24 camera that Richard Ritter just made for me is the carbon fiber bed. It is this bed that allows for the very light weight. You can see a picture of this in the thread on 20X24 sighting.

Sandy King

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    (unless it is dirt cheap).
    From what I understand even homemade does not fit this bill. Good luck.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know very well that even a homemade camera will be expensive, but not as much as the prefabricated ones. And I get to have all my ideas made in the camera by making it myself.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Mark, Good point. Dirt cheap doesn't even describe the price of a single sheet of film. I don't understand why someone would want to spend that kind of money on 20x24 film and then shoot it with a cobbled up shoe box for a camera........Sandy, I love the photo on Ritter's website of him jumping on top of the bed rails. Good stuff....Robert
    Quality is the ticket...if one is seriously planning projects with this format, the highest quality equipment is the only way to go. It certainly pays off,
    so the term "cheaper" does nt apply.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dirt cheap doesn't even describe the price of a single sheet of film. I don't understand why someone would want to spend that kind of money on 20x24 film and then shoot it with a cobbled up shoe box for a camera.
    Me neither, except for that person who is so driven that they defy all odds, comes up with something that works for them. I never put down people with below the market level resources who make their own equipment.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, sometimes the format size is a material part of the vision.

The Lotus I've seen has one of the nicest bail backs on any camera. It's not my camera, so I can't post a photo, but you can probably find a picture on the Lotus web site.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Well, sometimes the format size is a material part of the vision.

The Lotus I've seen has one of the nicest bail backs on any camera. It's not my camera, so I can't post a photo, but you can probably find a picture on the Lotus web site.
    Yep that bail is a really nice feature. If I remember correctly it was 2 bails-small ones with short throws...one on each side of the back.
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 12-20-2007 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelun
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In Magnachrom volume 1 issue 6 there is a nice feature on a Lotus 14x17.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Robert,

Who did you decide to go with for your 16 x 20 or do you have the skills to make one yourself? Good luck regardless, its mainly just me being curious and happy people are enjoying these larger formats.

Monty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin