Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,420   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some interesting tid-bits from my trip to Austin at Christmas:

At JFK here in NY they did not look inside either of the two camera bags I had as carry-on. 35mm and 4X5, just pushed them thru the X-Ray. I bought film in Austin.

In Austin the TSA swabbed down the 4X5 container, pulled out the light meter and looked at it closely and rummaged thru the 35mm.

While shooting at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Gardens I was asked three times by different people if I was "Matt, the photographer". I assured them his camera was much bigger.

I did catch the Texas Church Project that you and Mike mentioned and the work is very impressive. I must PM Mike and thank him for the heads up and thank you too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bummer about the airport, Matt. We all need to educate those folks whenever possible, it seems.

Glad you had a good trip, and you were in a lovely area. I love the woods. Next time tell us you'll be here, we'll turn you into an honorary New England 'Pugger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having only recently tried to shoot outside with my "little" 8x10, I'm in awe of these images, especially since they were done by somebody who doesn't have to put up with this New England weather as a matter of course. Not sure I'd ever go swimming at the "Swimming Hole" - old mill foundations are treacherous places - beautiful in your image, though. Good luck with the TSA complaint and I hope you won't hold it against New England. Crappy weather not withstanding, it can be a great place to shoot. You were, in fact, just at the edge of papagene's favorite stomping grounds and the scene of many fruitful NEAPUG outings, the Quabbin reservoir. Come on back and the coffee (or bev. of your choice) is on us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you guys seen scootermm? I mean the TSA was right on checking everything this guy carries...oh wait, that was someone else ... Sorry Matt, as we discussed on the phone the whole TSA thing was a real bummer, but the bright side it seems is the work you got back with. Can't wait to see them in person (sooner than later I hope!!)

Do keep us posted on the reply from the TSA and Bruce...glad you made it over to the show - if you give us a heads up next time you are down, would love to buy you your beverage of choice..but understand how family visits go.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    All, thanks for the kind words.
    I had contemplated trying to meetup with a few of you that I knew were in the area. But alas, it was a somewhat "quick" trip (albeit way too many consistant days of family). The time was pretty jam packed with only a few rare instances of being able to get out and photograph. Few hours here and there when others were napping from the xmas turkey meal, etc.
    Next time Im up there I plan to meet up with some folks (gene especially).
    Its a gorgeous area of the US. So much history and visual stories everywhere you look. These were just my meager attempts at stopping and capturing what struck me emotionally.
    It was logistically a bit of a nightmare, especially when shooting the "trees" image, as it was freezing rain and getting a film holder from the cab of the truck into the camera, darkslide pulled and reinserted without water getting on anything was a bit trying... but seemed all the while to be worth the effort. Plus I managed to haul that beast of a camera/case up there and damn if I wasnt going to come back with at least a few shots

PS, I do believe you are right it must have been Manchester, NH... coming from a state as large as Texas, I get a little confused when you can drive two hours in New England and go through 3-4 different states

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    PS, I do believe you are right it must have been Manchester, NH... coming from a state as large as Texas, I get a little confused when you can drive two hours in New England and go through 3-4 different states
    I know what you mean, Matt. I was in Andover a few months ago, and thought I'd see how long it took to get to New Hampshire after work one afternoon. Ended up in Maine! :o

I think here in Texas we call the equivalent sized geographical areas "counties".

... or maybe "ranches"
    Last edited by David Brown; 01-02-2008 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I know what you mean, Matt. I was in Andover a few months ago, and thought I'd see how long it took to get to Hew Hampshire after work one afternoon. Ended up in Maine! :o

I think here in Texas we call the equivalent sized geographical areas "counties".

... or maybe "ranches"
    Matt, It also doesn't help that the forefathers in New England didn't really value originality in names - there is a Manchester in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut!.. somehow Rhode Island missed out:rolleyes:. New Hampshire is the one with the 'big' airport though.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    The case was checked along with my tripod on the flight.
    Do you know that camera gear is not covered by the airline in the event of loss?

I did not, until I had a bag get lost. Luckily it was recovered. Basically anything other than clothes is not covered : cameras, tripods, computers, art, cash ...

also I usually just let my film go through the scanner at the security checkpoints, I have not noticed any problems and they never take it out of the bag. But I only work up to 8x10. Sometimes when I visit my family (in RI) i'll use USPS to send the film back and forth

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danschmidt View Post
    Do you know that camera gear is not covered by the airline in the event of loss?
    VERY good point dan, and I did in fact get my camera stuff covered with my home owners insurance, in the event of loss. Did this right before I went on the trip and USAA allowed for it to be covered for airline travel, But I did have to specifically add a clause to my coverage agreement.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Scootermm,
    You were literally just down the road from me(4or 5 miles). Next time your are in the area let me know and perhaps we could meet up. The boat and swimming hole are at Brown's Pond. The swimming hole really is a great place to swim for local folks. The water from there ends up in Quabbin, which is Boston's water supply.
    Great shot of the mill dam!
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin