Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,272   Posts: 1,534,535   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

My (brief) Time in New England

It has come and gone. I finally took my first flight/airtravel with my 12x20 camera.
    I managed to find a place close by that sold surplus military Pelican cases.
    Picked up a desert tan Pelican 1580 case. It is a beast of a case. Likely weighs in at around 30 lbs all by itself. Loaded with my 12x20 F&S, 3 12x20 holders, 2 dark cloths, 1 jumbo changing tent, and various items (cable release, light meter, etc) the total of the case was around 75lbs. Luckily it has wheels and a long handle so it fairly easy to walk around with and haul through the airport etc.
    The case was checked along with my tripod on the flight. The equipment/case and tripod all fair well and nothing was damaged during the 2 legs of the trip out there and back. I did however have one fairly substantial "casualty". One freshly bought and factory packaged box of 25 sheets of 12x20 Efke PL100 film.
    The TSA security check point in Manchester, MA decided it was completely and utterly neccesary to open up the one box of completely factory sealed film to inspect and swab it. Ive filed a complaint/claim with TSA as it states in their regulations that film boxes that are factory sealed will not neccesitate being opened and "swabbed" for explosives.
    The odd thing about the whole occurence is that the two other boxes I was hand carrying (one box of "exposed/undeveloped" shots, one partial box of unexposed) were NOT opened and "swabbed". They only required that they swab the completely fresh factory sealed box. It actually had to have the seals cut to open it and swab the interior black plastic bag. Low and behold I got home and dev a few random sheets from the "opened" box and had some horribly fogged film.
    I think it was an isolated experience as they just didnt understand the concept of a box of light sensitive film existed this large. My flight out there, I had no issues and the TSA supervisor on duty was pleasant and easily understood about the film.

I managed to sneak away from family for 2 afternoons and 2 morning "outings" into the surround area around Petersham, Massachusetts. snow was abundant and it was nice to photograph in some very "different" surroundings than my local Texas landscapes etc.

I thought I would share a few of the images. I came back with a total of 14 sheets of exposed film. Gladly they all turned out nearly spotless exposure/development -wise. There were four that seemed to neccesitate and immediate printing session so I spent some time the last few days printing up four of them.

Just thought I was share some of my travel/carry case/location thoughts.

happy new year all...

in and around petersham, ma.

PS, the title is stated with all do respect for the profound work of Mr. Strand and his wonderful book "My Time in New England"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generally TSA in Manchester are pretty good, I get to see them fairly often. Though I've not gone through with large sheet film. Sorry your experience wasn't so good. I'd be interested, and probably lots of other people here too, at what they have to say in their response to your complaint.
    Glad to hear your trip went well otherwise.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt,
    Glad to hear your trip went (mostly) well, I haven't been to the Petersham/Orange/Athol area for years, I grew up in Chicopee, and am still trying to make it back to spend some time wandering like I used to do.

erie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Did you ask for a supervisor ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Manchester, Ma has an airport??? Do you mean Manchester, NH?

oh, fantastic prints..especially the swimming hole.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    outstanding. the waterfall seems to even glow on my computer.

what a great project to take it to the TSA with a large camera and make it there and back. As far as film try shipping UPS over night to the first location you are going to and then ship it back with a return label. that way you don't have the hassles of the TSA. I usually ( like going to Yosemite this May) have a camera company like Badger or Freestyle ship over night to my first hotel a day before I get there to make sure it is there before me. and I print up a label for the weight for a return to my business the last day I'm there. most hotels get pick up and delivery so it isn't any problem for them and no charge for them to do it. if at a private residence then just cal UPS for a pick up at the house.

michael andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the waterfall the best.
    Petersham is not exactly a thriving metropolis (I think it's about 1,000 residents?). But one of my former co-workers lives there. Small world!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You were right next door to my home town of Athol!! I know the area well. Wait a minute...
    You were out this way and didn't tell any of us?!!!!
    Springfield is just an hour & a half away. I was up to my sister's Christmas day just 15 or 20 minutes away.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the TSA and good luck with your claim. I hope that you had a good time up here, it is a pretty section of the state.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a fairly good trip overall Matt..
    Didn't see you mention they charged you for the over 50 lbs case thopugh (?)

My last checkpoint coming back from Michigan, the guy took my box of unexposed tri-x (4x5) and swabbed it, then came over to the table if could open the box anyway. I said I'd rather he not, but he did for a second and I saw the foil pack (which had been opened by me previosly) exposed for that brief time. I think it's more out of curiosity on their part than anything, but is still stupid. He said "sorry"..

I missed the perfect snow the day I left though..

Let us know if the claim works out.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It is a shame that Efke, Foma & Ilford do not use foil pouches that are factory sealed. If they were, they could stand the box being opened. Kodak does, but the ultra large film is only special order on rare occaisions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin