Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,594   Online: 1275

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Robert, it looks to me as though your light traps need to be replaced. I do not think the slop in the film gate is causing your fog. I also do not think that the slop should be there. Personally when I make holders, they do not allow loading of two sheets of TriX at the same time.

Good luck.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Robert,
    Allen addresses the possible light leak problem, and I think all ULF users have had to work around the weaksprings/weaklighttrap/mismatchedholder/nonstandardriblock problems. Your problem seems to be manufacturing error. I have no less than 10 different brands of film holders for 5 formats, and none would show such obvious generosity with film thickness. This almost could qualify as a plate holder. You bought a "film holder" and it doesn't hold your film, and it exceeds standard dimensions. I would demand satisfaction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience...

I have a number of very new 5x12" film holders sourced from two of the current US manufacturers. One make allows two sheets, the other three sheets of film to be loaded easily in the same holder. I appreciate these are made from wood which is not easy to control tight tolerances. However I had hoped for better.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As we know, there are no 'standard' dimensions for most ULF film holder/camera backs. Perhaps it is time that the major ULF manufacturers came up with some agreed standards?

Barry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My new modern 5x12 holders have no slop in the film gate whatsoever, and do not allow extra film to be loaded. I've had no issues with their use, and am quite happy with them. They were definitely the more expensive option of the available choices at the time, but I am glad I went with them. When it comes time, I will order more of them to give me more holders to work with when I travel.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I may have to eat my words on the film being fogged across the entire sheet. After putting it on the densitometer it is obvious that there is fog across the sheet. I guess my old eyes aren't as trustworthy as they use to be. I went out and shot more film. I did notice the rib lock wasn't seating tight in the camera back and sure enough it was holding the holder away from the back just a hair. The fix is just milling a little more off the rib. But I would still like a tighter fitting film rail. But I don't think that is what is causing this problem so I guess I will live with that. Thanks guys for the input. Robert

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Deckled Edge, I agree with you. You would think at the price I paid for these you would expect a little closer tolerances. I have cheaper film holders with better tolerances. These are probably the most expensive on the market. Robert

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have left numerous voice mail messages today and an email last night . I get an email today from the manufacturer saying, "since I haven't heard of this problem before and it has been months since you received the holders. If these problems haven't existed up until now then I don't see where the problems lies on my end." Now this was about the film rail to septum slop. Now there is the issue of the rib lock not fitting right also. I think I've stopped being nice about this. Obviously I didn't use them as soon as I got them. But that doesn't make up for them being so poorly built and the manufacturer not standing behind their work. The sad part about this is I even sent my camera back to them to fit the filmholders to it. Robert
    Last edited by RobertP; 01-09-2008 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sounds very familiar to my experience with one manufacturer Robert.

Barry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    As we know, there are no 'standard' dimensions for most ULF film holder/camera backs. Perhaps it is time that the major ULF manufacturers came up with some agreed standards?

Barry
    There is a ULF standard that the manufacturers are now using. It is the older holders and the few that decide to make up their own that cause the problems. If a camera is made right the S & S, Lotus, ABW holders will all work. This probably will be address in the article in View Camera. If you are not sure you should have the camera back and the holders checked.

The light leak is where the dark slide goes in the holder this can be a problem on any size holder. Best to lay the dark slide or drape the dark cloth over the top when doing vertical with the light source over head.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin