Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 719

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If the manufacturer doesn't make right on this I will soon be posting pictures of the workmanship, showing how easily I can slide three sheets of film into one side of a holder and how the rib lock is so far off after having sent my camera back to them to build the holders to fit. I may even post a video on You Tube showing the slop in the septum to film rail as I load three sheets of film. These are some of the most expensive film holders on the market and I expect better service than this. Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    I did notice the rib lock wasn't seating tight in the camera back and sure enough it was holding the holder away from the back just a hair. The fix is just milling a little more off the rib. But I would still like a tighter fitting film rail. But I don't think that is what is causing this problem so I guess I will live with that. Thanks guys for the input. Robert
    I see this allot in one make of cameras. If I get that make of camera in for service I always check the rid lock slot, 70% of the time I need to make adjustments. Take the ground glass frame off and check the joints I have also found glue mounds that held the holder away from the back and caused leaks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T Ritter View Post
    There is a ULF standard that the manufacturers are now using. It is the older holders and the few that decide to make up their own that cause the problems. If a camera is made right the S & S, Lotus, ABW holders will all work. This probably will be address in the article in View Camera. If you are not sure you should have the camera back and the holders checked.

The light leak is where the dark slide goes in the holder this can be a problem on any size holder. Best to lay the dark slide or drape the dark cloth over the top when doing vertical with the light source over head.
    Richard,

I am pleased to hear that some standards are being agreed between manufacturers. Its pretty frustrating otherwise for the end user.

In my case I have a modern camera with modern film holders. I must say though that I am not entirely happy with my film holders dimensionally, even though one holder manufacturer had a camera back to use for dimensioning. They work but they could be much better.

Barry

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just so everyone knows what I'm dealing with here. Here is a pic of 4 sheets of film that will slide in but they are tight. Here you can see what I mean by three sheets sliding in easily. Now with this much slop in the film gate when shooting a narrow format like this (8x20) in the vertical position you can see the film sag at the bottom out against the film rails at the top the film leans back against the septum. So it is not like I have to force three sheets into the holder. Three sheets goes in with plenty of room for clearance. Roberthttp://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9503&stc=1&d=119998523 0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0008.jpg  
    Last edited by RobertP; 01-10-2008 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I guess a lot of the manufacturers read this forum. Since I started this thread the manufacturer has just contacted me requesting I send the holders back along with my camera back so the new holders can be fitted again. Thanks everyone for all of the input. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Robert.....P.S. I guess a little ranting and raving on my part paid off. But it should never have to come to that.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Again I spoke to soon. The reason the guy wants me to send my camera-back to him was so he can mill it to fit his rib lock. The whole reason I paid for custom built holders and supplied him with my camera- back was so they would fit my camera without any extra milling to the back. He has no intention of fixing the slop in the septum to film rail ( filmgate) issue. I can't believe this guy. Robert

Images
    That just sounds wrong. Real wrong. Don't let him do anything to your camera.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mark, Trust me, he'll never get near my camera with so much as a nail file. He's actually trying to tell me that this much slop is a normal tolerance. Maybe I should post my picture here and ask the apug community if I look like I just fell off a turnip truck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    ...Maybe I should post my picture here and ask the apug community if I look like I just fell off a turnip truck.
    No, I think it would be much more valuable if you post the manufacturer's name.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    After reading this thread I thought I'd check my holders and found that the number of sheets varied all over the place. I too shoot 8x20 and have about 20 holders, mainly AWB, Korona and a few Wisner holders. The AWB were clearly the best(least number of sheets that could fit) followed by Korona and then the Wisner, Mr W never seemed to have made a good holder though I do have a few of his cameras.

When you consider that the center of the sheet is quite a bit closer than the ends of the sheet when measured from the lens just how accurate do you have to be? There is probably so much slop in LF cameras between the 'actual' focussing plane to where the film finally sits that it probably isn't that much of an issue as you may think.

The depth of the groove on the film back will have no effect on any other holder you are using, whats the problem with having it tweaked to fit your holders?

CP Goerz

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin