Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,909   Posts: 1,584,661   Online: 851

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    But aside from the rib lock issue the filmgate allows for 4 sheets of film to be loaded on each side of the holder. Sorry everyone if I keep repeating myself. Robert
    Looking at this issue from an engineering perspective it seems to me that a piece of information that needs to be integrated into this mix is the statistical variability of the thickness of sheet films that go into ULF holders. Photo Engineer would be able to pull these numbers off of the top of his head. My point is that a film holder maker probably has to be able to accomodate a wide range of thicknesses of sheet film.

I pulled out some of my dozen or so S&S holders of various ULF sizes and I can put at least three sheets of TMY under the rib on some holders and only two sheets into some ribs of others so obviously there is some "play" here. On the flip side I remember one S&S holder that I got that was a dark oak that would bearly accept a single sheet due so we must appreciate and understand that wood is a dynamic material affected by humidity. I do not know the mathematical tolerance of how much play is too much play when it comes to resolution and print results. I am only tossing some of my personal experience into the mix.

I hope that a satisfactory can be had for your time and effort in this regard Robert. I feel your pain....

Cheers!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just to ask the obvious but is the back to be custom fitted that was sent the same back that has the groove problem? Also you mentioned you sent a holder too, did you send both?

CP Goerz

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Michael, I've tried numerous films Efke, TMY, FP4. All allow 4 sheets of film do load although the 4th one is tight but I can load 3 sheets with considerable play so they will load completely the full length of the holder, without any resistance at all. I can load a sheet and pull the darkslide and actually see the film sag/bow. No other holder I've ever owned has allowed this kind of slop including Wisner holders. I realize that wood can't be held to the same tolerance as metal but this is truly unacceptable. These holders have been kept in a padded case in a room that is constant 68 degrees with an RH that is pretty constant at 40 % so I highly doubt that atmospheric conditions has played any role in this. I would have no problem with a film gate that would allow two sheets to load. As a matter of fact I'd be tickled to death with that. But 4 sheets that allow enough film sag/bow to the point where the film is ready to fall out from behind the film rail is not acceptable. Robert
    Last edited by RobertP; 01-11-2008 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    cp, Yes I sent both. But to be clear. There is no problem with the groove in the camera back. The problem is the distance between the filmholder rib and the rib handle ( as the manufacturer calls it ) or top rib the snaps over the top of the back.
    Last edited by RobertP; 01-11-2008 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Michael, I've tried numerous films Efke, TMY, FP4. All allow 4 sheets of film do load although the 4th one is tight but I can load 3 sheets with considerable play so they will load completely the full length of the holder, without any resistance at all. I can load a sheet and pull the darkslide and actually see the film sag/bow. No other holder I've ever owned has allowed this kind of slop including Wisner holders. I realize that wood can't be held to the same tolerance as metal but this is truly unacceptable. These holders have been kept in a padded case in a room that is constant 68 degrees with an RH that is pretty constant at 40 % so I highly doubt that atmospheric conditions has played any role in this. I would have no problem with a film gate that would allow two sheets to load. As a matter of fact I'd be tickled to death with that. But 4 sheets that allow enough film sag/bow to the point where the film is ready to fall out from behind the film rail is not acceptable. Robert
    Richard Ritter would be my next call as this situation really sucks. Even though several of my S&S holders exhibit tendency for a wide channel, The end flap and the light trap end seems to hold things down nicely and I have not had a problem. that said, I have painted the end flap black and had my wife sew black snychilla flap end "condoms" that protect the film from stray light as they come from my septums to beneath my dark cloth and back. Considering the cost of ULF sheet film, it is a small price to pay for success and no fogging.

Hope you get this situation in the rear view mirror ASAP.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Richard Ritter....we need to clone that guy! He's the McGuyver of ULF..... hey i still have a sense of humor. Robert

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You know I have no problem defending my position on this. I only wish Mr. Brubaker would join us and defend his position that all his film holders have this kind of play. And its not because I want to put him on front street. But there are two sides to every argument and I feel it would do us all a service to hear his reasoning on this matter. Robert

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Of course he won't take my calls and discuss this any further with me in private so I'm sure he doesn't want to discuss it in a public forum. Robert

Images
    In my neck of the woods 2000.00 equals more than most folks' monthly gross take home. It sure is a lot of film too. I would contact someone.

I was contemplating AWB and have taken them off the list.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mark, I'm receiving private messages and email from others who have sent back holders recently due to poor workmanship. So I'm not the only one who is having problems with this guy. He just probably figures that what I have invested isn't enough for me to bring legal action against him. Robert

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin