Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,998   Online: 1043

Shooter
    4x5 Format

12x15in Camera - best way to get started

In a slightly mad moment I picked up a 12X15 camera on ebay at the weekend. It doesnt have any film backs and having now done some research this may be a bigger problem that I thought. I have a 450mm f9 nikkor which will cover it so just need to sort out film and holders. What options have I got ?

As an aside, it has no name but was pictured on a Gandolfi tripod, would I be able to tell if it was a Gandolfi in any easy way ?

Thanks

Dave

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you post a picture of it, we might be able to identify it. There are a couple of members here who have Gandolfi cameras...

One way to get film holders is to contact Gandolfi. I suspect that could be expensive, though...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    .... or you can make or have someone make for you an 11x14 reducing back. I think that this size holders/film combination is far more readily available and maybe, cheaper.
    A fool with mission!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might get lucky and find some spare filmholders. I have been looking for 12x15 gear since I was given a camera in 1999 or so and I have only ever seen them for sale with cameras.

30x40 cm (which is very close in size) was supposedly a standard X-ray size, so you might be able to find some X-ray holders if you know the right skips to check out. It was also a standard graphics arts size, so you might be able to find a holder from a stat camera or something similar that you can adapt.

There are ways to make your own, especially if you can live with single-sided holders. Various threads in the archives here at apug discuss ideas of various levels of complexity.

But if you want to get taking photos quickly I'd suggest getting a camera maker like Chamonix, Argentum or Richard Ritter to make you a back you can attache to your exisiting camera and compatible holders to go with it. When I win the lottery (and lose interest in long lenses and long walks) I would like to adapt my camera to the 40x40 cm square format. The owner/front man for Argentum has some pictures of his camera and holders in this size on the Argentum website:

http://www.argentumcamera.com/_angol...anufaktory.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would second the advice on contacting Richard Ritter for an 11x14 reducing back. 11x14 holders and film will be much more available than 12x15.

Good Luck!
    John Bowen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could contact Hugo Zhang and have him get you a price to have Chamonix build you a back and 3 holders. That only solves one problem though. Maybe you could get the folks in China to make some rolls of 12" wide film. A couple of rolls 12 inch X 150 feet. Any soluton is likely to make the cost of the original camera pale in comparison, but still, 12X15 would be very cool.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi again, I saw today that one of the APUG sponsors, GVB groundglass sells Wephota sheet film in 12x15" size.
    A fool with mission!

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Many thanks

Thanks for the input. I had suspected that the best approach would be to get an 11x14 back made for the camera and buy a couple of std holders. I will post some piccies of the camera as soon as I can. I have a horrible feeling about this becoming a potentially expensive addiction.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi again, I now have the camera in my sweaty mit and here are the pictures. It is a fantastic piece of mahogany albeit with some damage. All parts are original but the GG was wasted by the postal system so a new one will be required. It has much in common with the 5x4 Gandolfi traditional I have - all the screw heads line up for e.g., some of the brass parts look very similar. Anyway, what do you think ? A happy Easter cleaning and restoring in prospect

I found a chap who kindly offered to sell me a 15x12 bookform holder so I am nearly ready to get started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20070321-R1010534R1010534-1.jpg   20070321-R1010535R1010535-2.jpg   20070321-R1010536R1010536-3.jpg   20070321-R1010537R1010537-4.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin