Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 809

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 case/bags

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey Vaugh, here are a few pics of my MEI pac with the 11x14 in it. There is no model number on mine, only an MEI logo and Made in USA tag. This thing is at least 20 years old but still going strong. My 11x14 has a reversible back and it fits nicely in it. I'm only 5'8" and it is manageable for my lazy butt I can't imagine Jim is any lazier than me!
    Erik
    Last edited by Erik L; 10-30-2008 at 06:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
    Hey Vaugh, here are a few pics of my MEI pac with the 11x14 in it. There is no model number on mine, only an MEI logo and Made in USA tag. This thing is at least 20 years old but still going strong. My 11x14 has a reversible back and it fits nicely in it. I'm only 5'8" and it is manageable for my lazy butt I can't imagine Jim is any lazier than me!
    Erik
    Erik, it looks like that pack is no good anymore and you need to send it to me so I can get rid of it for you!! I saw Vaughn's pack when we shot together at Yosemite and I think it is the same or very close. I like to hike with my outfits. You know get off of the trail if necessary. Everyone has given me some great ideas. The pet strollers are something I had not thought about. Trying to find a pack that is wide enough seems to be the problem. Something that is not to heavy and has good support. I only have three holders at this time and I can imagine I'll take maybe two lenses out with me. What Erik and Vaughn have looks to be ideal. Now to find a 20 year old pack in decent shape will not be possible but at least I know what to look for.
    If I find the right stroller then I can take the 8x20 and 11x14 out for a stroll together!! I'm only 5'6" not to lazy yet and I'm game to try this.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 04-10-2008 at 11:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Erik, it looks like that pack is no good anymore and you need to send it to me so I can get rid of it for you!! I saw Vaughn's pack when we shot together at Yosemite and I think it is the same or very close. I like to hike with my outfits. You know get off of the trail if necessary. Everyone has given me some great ideas. The pet strollers are something I had not thought about. Trying to find a pack that is wide enough seems to be the problem. Something that is not to heavy and has good support. I only have three holders at this time and I can imagine I'll take maybe two lenses out with me. What Erik and Vaughn have looks to be ideal. Now to find a 20 year old pack in decent shape will not be possible but at least I know what to look for.
    If I find the right stroller then I can take the 8x20 and 11x14 out for a stroll together!! I'm only 5'6" not to lazy yet and I'm game to try this.

Jim
    Ok Jim, it's yours if you trade me for a few film holders for 11x14. Can't beat that deal on a classic backpack
    Erik

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Erik, ok I'll send you my extra cut pieces of walnut........... they could be considered film holders!!!! Nice try , Jim! I think that size pack is what I need to find.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Looks like the same pack, only mine is only half the age of yours. They made mine with a detachable daypack that attaches where your front pocket is. Also they made the daypack/pocket smaller -- so I doubt now that one could get 11x14 holders in it. Mine is also a nice middle gray -- I should meter it and a gray card and see how close they are.

My Zone VI 810 fits it with lots of room -- so I was able to use closed cell foam to pad all around the camera. I put it through baggage for a trip from here to New Mexico (3 different planes each way) and it did very well. It is nice the way it refrains from yelling "There's lots of expensive camera gear in here!" I removed the daypack and carried it with the holders/film as carry-on.

The nicely padded leather handle on the side is great for moving the pack around. My pack also has two side pockets that hide away when not needed -- long enough each for 2 1-qt water bottles. I could not tell if yours has them. For all-day hikes, I take a water bottle and my water filter in one side pocket and food in the other.

Do you actually pack it with the GG facing the way you have it in the photo? I added good padding beneath the camera -- with that padding and the padding of the shoulder straps and lower back, I feel my GG is safer the other way round. The padding I put beneath the camera (that the GG goes against) is two layers of closed cell foam (backpacking sleeping pads) with some stiff material inbetween -- sort of like 8-ply rag matboard, only made with some cheap cardboardy sort of paper. The stiff material is to keep a rock or something from putting too much uneven pressure on the GG if I set it down too hard.

I also used some open cell foam at the end so that I do not have to worry about setting the pack down hard (after 10 or so miles, and 8 or more hours of photographing, it can be difficult to gently ease the pack off my back and onto the ground!) I think I have to replace this foam as I heard more of a clunk the last few times I set the pack down.

I'll have to measure my pack...I have just assumed a 15'x15" camera (outside dimensions of an 11x14 w/ reversible back?) would not fit in mine --perhaps due to the extra padding I have on the sides.

Vaughn

A photo of my pack: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...3&d=1197389905

and open with gear...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...4&d=1197389961

Hopefully the links work
    Last edited by Vaughn; 04-11-2008 at 11:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: links added
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Vaughn, It looks like you have a much more modern version I would only use this pack to actually carry the camera on hikes, I wouldn't think about letting tsa and baggage handlers get their mitts on it. I too use the old sleeping mats for padding on the bottom. I put a piece also on top of the ground glass and still have room for holders on top of that and my dark cloth. The part of the pack that is facing my back has an aluminum frame (inside the pack) that I didn't want to be against the glass that is why it is facing out, I figured it would have less chance of pressure on the glass if it faces out. No problems yet, but I don't toss it around without thinking
    Erik
    Jim, Here's a link to MEI if interested
    http://www.meipacks.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I put a piece of closed cell foam on top of my camera, too. I carry 5 holders in the front pocket and often carry up to four more (usually only 3) on top of that foam like you do.

From the link to MEI, it looks like the Trekker II is the closest to my pack.

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 04-11-2008 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Vaughn, I think mine is closer to the China clipper series as far as size goes. I'm jealous, you have the fancy new logo on yours

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Vaughn and Erik, thanks for the information. I did take a look at Vaughn's when we were at Yosemite together back in March. His was much easier to access than my REI travel pack for my 8x10. Thanks for the link and the info on the possible pack series. When I get a pack it will be for use in the field and not for travel by plane. By the way I'm making a Walnut ground glass cover for the 11x14 out of Walnut plywood. Did one for the 8x20 and the 8x10. They are easy to make and add some protection in addition to the padding. Erik, what are the dimensions of your 11x14? The China Clipper might not be wide enough.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 04-11-2008 at 01:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: had to ask a question

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jim, folded up it measures 18x19x7 including the focusing knobs. some protection for the glass is a good idea, I just made a couple spare gg's for my inevitable follies
    Erik

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin