Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,180   Online: 839

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Image quality, perspective control and the ability to fine tune or CONTROL every step in the process.

It is also the only photography as slow as my wife sketches or does water color. A mutual appreciation and enjoyment of visual arts together cuts w-a-y back on the complaint I hear in many ULF marriages, "Why don't we do anything together?"

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Image quality, perspective control and the ability to fine tune or CONTROL every step in the process.

It is also the only photography as slow as my wife sketches or does water color. A mutual appreciation and enjoyment of visual arts together cuts w-a-y back on the complaint I hear in many ULF marriages, "Why don't we do anything together?"

John Powers
    I love it for the same exact reasons. And the last bit, "the complaint I hear in many ULF marriages, "Why don't we do anything together?"", basically sums it all up.

www.charlesboyer-fa.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    masochistic tendencies. or so the voices in my head tell me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is also the only photography as slow as my wife sketches or does water color. A mutual appreciation and enjoyment of visual arts together ... "
    Well now, this is interesting! My wife decided this was the "thing to do" a while back. She just bought a "pochade" box http://www.dickblick.com/zz528/03/ and I had to donate a tripod to the effort. We've only been out once, and it was successful, but we'll see ...

Trouble is, I shoot medium format. Is this gonna drive me to sheet film?

Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    masochistic tendencies. or so the voices in my head tell me.
    I think you're just over-compensating for something else, but whadda I know?
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Because Edward Weston only had an 8x10, so my 11x14 makes me better than him... :rolleyes:

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I think you're just over-compensating for something else, but whadda I know?
    Funny. Another one of the voices in my head was just saying the same thing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=David Brown;622081]Well now, this is interesting! My wife decided this was the "thing to do" a while back. She just bought a "pochade" box http://www.dickblick.com/zz528/03/ and I had to donate a tripod to the effort. We've only been out once, and it was successful, but we'll see ...

Trouble is, I shoot medium format. Is this gonna drive me to sheet film?

David,

You got lucky. My dear sweet bought one of those boxes and none of my seven tripods was a correct fit. Not only that but she had to buy their canvas stool for the right height. Did I with umpteen lenses, cameras, and near terminal GAS say a word. NADA! Not one. She is happy, takes half the workshops and gatherings I do, and encourages me in my projects. Not the time to say a bad word. As a boss once said when I was over sales quota and my expense report was a little high, "just the cost of doing business." If I had had the same expenses and been below quota, it would have been time to post my resume.

Yes, unless she is very fast you need to go to sheet film. You will be much too fast with 120 film. I would say you need a 12"x20" at least. I think you may owe me a dinner and drinks for that suggestion.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 04-25-2008 at 03:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You got lucky. My dear sweet bought one of those boxes and none of my seven tripods was a correct fit. ... Did I with umpteen lenses, cameras, and near terminal GAS say a word. NADA! Not one. She is happy, ... and encourages me in my projects.
    Oh, absolutely! The best piece of luck I ever had was marrying an artist!

Yes, unless she is very fast you need to go to sheet film. You will be much too fast with 120 film. I would say you need a 12"x20" at least. I think you may owe me a dinner and drinks for that suggestion.
    Sorry John, but I wouldn't be able to afford drinks and dinner for anyone else if I bought a 12x20. I'll just have to borrow Scooter's when he's feeling better about himself ...

(I have been "looking" at 4x5's lately! :o )
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    (I have been "looking" at 4x5's lately! :o )[/QUOTE]

1 1/2 maybe 2 years from the time the 4x5 arrived until the 7x17 with a stop at 810. Always remember that it is your wife who will love it. You are doing it for her.

John

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images

John Powers
    I ask my husband that same question. However, I am the one doing the ULF photography, not him.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin