Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,242   Online: 1030

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    My Grandfather had a panoramic image of the lake I grew up. It was over the couch at the lake house. I haven't seen that image in over 30 years, but I remember it as if I had last seen it yesterday. Then about 4 years ago View Camera did an article on panoramic cameras. Then about 3 years ago Richard Ritter announced he was going to start building ULF cameras. I was already shooting 8x10 and knowing that someday I might want to shoot a larger negative, I made sure the lenses I purchased would cover an 8x20 or larger negative. I eventually decided on a Ritter 7x17 camera.

I truly enjoy printing the negatives on Azo. I do my proof and work prints on 2 sheets of 8x10 using a vacuum easel. This allows me to only use the 20x24 Azo when I am printing "keepers."
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The underlying truth is that ULF photography adds an element of direct creativity with light that is not so pronouncedly felt with other type of formats. And that element can easily be a very inspiring element in the photographing process. The huge screen somehow takes over the other technical parts of the camera and the visual process has a greater inner impact. So I feel it - a director of a light factory.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    I ask my husband that same question. However, I am the one doing the ULF photography, not him.
    So what's his reply - "Because I always have to carry all that stuff?"

Antje

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why I started to use a 8x20 camera, I saw an exhibition with some 8x20 contact print, and I needed to use a 8x20 camera, when it arrived and I looked at the groundglass a new vision appear to my eyes and my mind, the second things is a funny gym carrying on the shoulder in the field helps to keep fit, and I needed to lose weight

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    So what's his reply - "Because I always have to carry all that stuff?"

Antje
    No, he doesn't have any interest in going with me when I photograph. I carry whatever I take with me.

To him, if it isn't color, it isn't photography.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Obviously because of the visual impact of a big contact print. Everybody wonders about the incredible amount of detail when seeing them. What they don't realise in the first time is that the tonality too helps to come the very same emotion about the picture.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh, I forgot to say - 20x24.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    It provides a venue....

When one feels all alone and unappreciated, you can set up your ulf in a public place and draw a nice crowd....in no time at all, you will be waxing eloquent. Many will be astounded, amazed, and ask intelligent questions, some converts will come forth, and many will walk away, unenlightened, into the darkness muttering that there is always one complete idiot in every small crowd. If you feel the need, and can afford it, you can actually load up a film holder and fire off a shot; but that is totally unnecessary.
    Dave is spot on as always......but......I set up the 14X17 in front of the Tonopah post office and wait all day. 13 or 14 people came and went but I couldn't draw a crowd. I still feel all alone and unappreciated.

BTW, that picture of Goldfarb in front of the viaduct with that camera. If I ever saw a terrorist photographing a public works project of importance, that's it!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, he doesn't have any interest in going with me when I photograph. I carry whatever I take with me.

Now Diane, that is an example of the power of true love - I'd have to REALLY love someone deeply and profoundly to overlook that kind of attitude

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's a half of truth, anyway.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin