Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,121   Online: 1114

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

11x14 holder dimension please

Hi folks,

If possible, could some kind soul measure an 11x14 film holder from the outside of the rib across the entire length so I can compare it to some new film holders that I think are made by tachihara although not labled at all. I'm trying to figure out if these film holders are a standard size or if my camera back is not standard. I was under the impression that 11x14 holders were pretty much all the same, but unfortunately I am wrong The camera is a Gundlach Manufacturing Company make if that rings any bells to it being standard or not. For reference, these tachihara holders are 16 and 1/8th inches from the outside edge of the rib across the length. I want to avoid routing the back to accomodate these new holders if there are other holders that fit with no modification necessary.
    I appreciate any help!
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi Erik,

Check out film holder standards posted by Sandy King on the Jan. 11th thread entitled "ULF film holder standards" in "Feedback and discussion". If you read the whole thread, you will find that many others are concerned about the measurements.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great Help Rob, Thanks!
    If Sandy's dimensions that he provides for his holders are the standard, then I guess I have to modify my camera back
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
    Great Help Rob, Thanks!
    If Sandy's dimensions that he provides for his holders are the standard, then I guess I have to modify my camera back
    regards
    Erik
    Erik,

There are ANSI standards for 11X14 holders.

Width, Min of 12.925" to Max of 13.000"

Distance from end of holder at flap end to the far side of the rib-lock, Min of 16.125" to Max of 16.160".

Many very old 11X14 cameras were built before the days of the standard and may need adjustments for width or rib-lock position to accept ANSI type holders.

Sandy King

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
    Great Help Rob, Thanks!
    regards
    Erik
    It sounds like your type of camera is known to have so many variables that modification would be the most practical solution - and not all that difficult to accomplish.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Vinnedge View Post
    It sounds like your type of camera is known to have so many variables that modification would be the most practical solution - and not all that difficult to accomplish.
    I agree.

Unless the cameras has great collectible value the best choice is to modify the back to accept ANSI standard holders.

Sandy King

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, I got out the router and went to town on it The groove I made to fit the holder is right at the end of the back and there is nothing to engage the rib, just a 90 degree stop that the holders rib butts up against. I hope that the springs are enough to keep it light tight, I think it will work.
    thanks again
    Erik

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Erik, I just measured the three Burke & James holders I have and they are all the same.

Width: 12 31/32"

Length: from end of flap to the end of the rib lock: 16 1/4"

Hope this helps.

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim, I guess I shouldn't have given back the holders I borrowed that were correct for my camera. The only ones I can find now are the standard size which required me to modify the camera back, no biggie I guess,
    Thanks again
    Erik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin