Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,330   Online: 911

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    #3 is my favorite. Less is more for me. The two objects have a relationship. More than two or three and the message gets too confusing.

12x20 still lives...who'd a thunk? Very nice printing by the way too.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Michael.

Much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    interesting! its not often that we here on APUG get to serial work like this presented in that manner. is this work based on a concept, or some other idea you are trying to communicate. The conceptualist in me wants this work to comment on family portraiture or repetitive habitual activity. The same elements being grouped together in the same location time after time caries some interesting implications.

Yours:

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Chris, thank you for the interest in it.
    yes it actually does have some ideas/concepts behind it. Alot of it revolving around emotions one experiences in life, the certainty of death and life, beauty in varying forms (juxtaposition of two, etc etc)

at the risk of sharing too much... I wrote this up for a friend of mine when asked "about" the series....

Diversity is the spice of life, or so the saying goes.
    I never saw myself ever being a still life photographer, I still don’t. It has never held much interest for me, there is so much out in the world for me to find and explore that remaining indoors of confined to a tiny area of visual real estate just didn’t seem all that compelling.
    Then I started collecting skulls, weird ones, strange African horned animals – Bongos, Kudus, and Oryxes, all sorts of animal skulls. Knowing full well that I wanted to eventually photograph them and undoubtedly these images would fall into the realm of still life photography.
    Death is an intriguing experience. Death has a strong hold on human emotion. As a species, we know it is inevitable, yet we fear it immensely. When death strikes us personally we will often avoid facing it, for it creates situations of tension, despair, and loneliness. People I have cared for in life have died, I will eternally miss them, yet I also see beauty in their passage to death. I have grown because of their deaths, opening up to intense self discovery and realization. I have learned about the complexity and beauty that lies within me and can be manifested through me.
    There is considerable beauty to be found in death.
    It’s obvious the beauty that is inherently found in flowers. They are all around us, on the side of the highway, on a dining room table, hanging from a porch, or resting on a gravesite. They contain an obvious statement of beauty.
    These images are emotionally intense to create. I don’t partake in hunting and would likely never have bought a skull in my life were it not for my photographic passion. Nor would I have likely ever photographed flowers if it weren’t for my collection of skulls.
    They are a visual juxtaposition. Each containing a beauty unique to each part, yet create a beauty far grander when joined together.

{end overly descriptive artspeak now. }

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt.. these are lovely. I think you are on to something here, and look forward to seeing where you take it... well done!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Thanks for sharing this very nice series. I especially like the last one.

Jim
    Really nice series Matt.

As I went through the series knowing the above comment on the last one I got to number twelve and thought this is the one for me and then I saw the warmth in the last one.

Really exquisite image.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    {end overly descriptive artspeak now. }

Matthew:

From knowing you as I do, I think one of the reasons you have more difficulty expressing yourself in words (than visually) is that you are a visual person. For you, 1 picture truly is worth 1000 words!

I could be wrong, of course ...

I see the next stage for you to be taking these skulls out into your "natural" environment, and including them in your landscapes and architectural work. Maybe some of your derilict buildings need skulls in them!

(I could be wrong, of course ... )

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    likely a fair amount of truth to all that David.
    But then again, I do enjoy the exercise of attempting to put it into words.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    Well, its at least a little different for me. Actually, VERY different for me. Not something I thought I would ever really be interested in, but surprisingly I've really been enjoying it.

I posted one of these a few weeks back and received some nice comments.
    So thought I would share the first 10 or so that I've done.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts and comments.
    Seems to me like one idea, too many pictures. After a moment one knows that the next will be - skulls, of course, just a different setting. Beating the dead horse to his death?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin