Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,070   Online: 935

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Tripod Disaster!!!!

So because I had to work all weekend I decided to take Friday off. Had the itch to take both the 8x20 and 11x14 out for the day. Went up Highway 1 in California and wanted to do some work back in the canyons. I set my 11x14 atop my Walnut tripod and had everything secure. I was about to put the waterhouse stop in my lens and as I was about to do so I stepped on this huge rock that one of the legs of my tripod was against and it twisted!!!!! My camera started to fall to the rocks!! I managed to grab it and hold on for dear life. Fortunately for me two nice guys who were watching me jumped in to help. We got the camera to a safe spot and I realized that the torque on the base caused the Walnut base to snap. I need to re do the base. My question is when I do this I'm considering that I want to make the Tri-lock device that is on the Ries tripods. I've looked at the website and the pictures tell me a fair amount but can someone who owns a Ries let me know how this tri-lock system for securing the legs into position works. Does it expand the leg from the top? I can't see how it works. Please don't say just buy a Ries tripod as right now I don't have the $$$. My Walnut tripod is strong but I need to do an upgrade to make it better. Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wow, Jim, after all that work! Sorry to hear you bruised your baby. I have seen 32.174 ft/s2 in action when my 11x14 fell off the tripod in Bodie, so I know how you must have felt. I didn't make my Empire State, however, and I know how precious your homemade is to you.
    I hope you have some matching walnut layin' around.
    Good luck on tripod-quest. I just use a Monarch and forget all attempts at panache with such a big camera/investment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Does it expand the leg from the top? I can't see how it works.
    Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ries2.jpg   ries3.jpg   ries4.jpg  
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 12-26-2008 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

more tri-lock detail

Jim, here's the image I PM'ed you about....smaller, but should still be clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trilock.jpg  
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim and Tracy, thanks. These images will help with the re-design. You guys are the best! Thanks again.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I wanted to thank everyone that gave me input on the tripod repair/upgrade. I did the "Ries thing". I made a tri lock system for my hand built tripod. It is more stable and solid than before. It is nice in that I can lock the legs in position and if I need to move the system a short distance ( very short) I can leave the legs in place and they don't move. All in all a very nice system.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 01:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin