Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,657   Online: 943

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

11x14 holder problem?

I am having issues with one of my holders. The portion of the neg up by the light trap down about 1/2" is clear? No exposure. Prints black. It is only happening on this one holder. My other two are fine. Could it be the light trap? Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim,

Are you sure it is not the opposite end? Sometimes a film will slip under the endflap and have too wide of a margin. The other end gets fully exposed with no clear margin. If that is what the film looks like, perhaps a dab of rubber cement or small piece of double-sided tape in the right spot would prevent the film from shifting in the looser holder.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    No, I'm positive that it is at the top of the neg by the light trap. I just checked again. The margin is even on the other sides. At first I thought that the light trap was moving when I inserted and removed the dark slide. I put in some old exposed film and held it in position and nothing! Kind of strange! Don't know what to think.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim,
    A few thoughts. Are you pulling the darkslide all the way out of the holder? Also the bellows may be sagging into the image area thus preventing the projected image from reaching the film. Does this happen in both the vertical and horizontal orientation of the camera back?
    Best,
    Gary

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gary, I always pull the slide all the way out especially with 11x14. It doesn't matter the orientation of the back. I get the same effect either way. I've taken shots with my other holders and no problem. On one side of the holder I loose about1/2" and the other side about 3/8". Very strange?? Can't figure this one out.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,

I am not one to but-in but, take the back off the camera and inset the holder, and see how it fits in the film back you may have one odd holder. If the holder is sitting in to far/or not far enough 'cut off' That is if I understand the problem. Besides 11x14 film is to much to waist $$$$$$$$.

jan pietrzak

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Gary, I always pull the slide all the way out especially with 11x14. It doesn't matter the orientation of the back. I get the same effect either way. I've taken shots with my other holders and no problem. On one side of the holder I loose about1/2" and the other side about 3/8". Very strange?? Can't figure this one out.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jan, but-in all you like! I just checked the good holder to the problem one and they are both the same. I'm going to do what you suggest. The only other thing I can think of is that the holder was never pushed in all the way. I doubt that though. I am very careful with this. Especially with 11x14 film. It is to much $$$$$$$$$ to waste. Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well once again the wonderful Jim Galli had the answer! He suggested that the film is slipping past the stop just enough. Sure enough it is! I just checked it against my good holders and that is the problem. I had to push it just a bit and it slips. So some double sided tape is in order unless there is another way. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin