Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,953   Online: 696

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does this lens cover 20x24": Voigtländer Apo-Skopar 9/45cm
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    Large Format
    Voigtlander Apo-Skopar 45cm f/9 will not cover 20x24, nor Apo-Skopar 60cm f/9. The Apo-Skopar 75cm f/9 will cover. On the other hand, Apo-Skopar 45cm f/9 is a very sweet lens for 8x10.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wish there was an easy way to find out wich lenses will cover what format. I can be a lot of money to spend on something that might not work.

The Goerz Apochromat "red dot" Artar 14/42 Inch, looks to be be the 42" f14 version from what I can see on the picture.
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I reckon that my 600m f/9 apo-rodagon process lens should cover 20x24 with some movement. The thing just weighs so much, I think you can forget putting it on a wooden camera. I did take it past 1:1 with a ridiculous piece of aluminum extrusion as a rail, but you know what my problem was? Couldn't reach all the way from the darkslide to the lens to hand shutter it. :rolleyes: Now that is a problem, when you need an assistant just to pull a darkslide.

Besides all these glorious oldies, what about pinhole Should be quite special at that size.
    Why would you need to reach from the darkslide to the shutter? I work a lot with 36" of bellows out on a ULF camera. You pull the darkslide...move up to your lens.. make the exposure ..then step back and replace the darkslide. I must be misunderstanding your statement about needing an assistant just to pull your darkslide. Also, you can use some pretty heavy lenses on a wooden view camera by using a monopod to support the lens. It takes a lot of weight off of your front standard.
    Last edited by RobertP; 05-24-2008 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Falkenberg, Go to...mamutphoto.com. Click on equipment.Then on the "behemoth eye lenses" article. There they give you a list of lenses and their image circles.
    Last edited by RobertP; 05-24-2008 at 11:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    I wish there was an easy way to find out wich lenses will cover what format. I can be a lot of money to spend on something that might not work.

The Goerz Apochromat "red dot" Artar 14/42 Inch, looks to be be the 42" f14 version from what I can see on the picture.
    This lens will definitely cover 20x24. And if it is indeed a Red Dot Artar it will be coated. This lens, in fact, is the father of the current, and much more expensive, 1100mm Schneider Super Symmar XXL Fine Art lens. I'm sure the 1100mm Fine Art lens is a wonderful optic, but the 42" Red Dot Artar will give you almost identical performance for a small fraction of the cost.

I have a fairly late sample of the 42" Red Dot Artar. Mine has the lens cells mounted in brass, but the barrel is aluminum. This helps keep the weight down to a respectable (for a lens this long) 5 lbs. I use mine as a long lens on 14x17. It would be a wonderful lens for your 20x24.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I reckon that my 600m f/9 apo-rodagon process lens should cover 20x24 with some movement. The thing just weighs so much, I think you can forget putting it on a wooden camera. I did take it past 1:1 with a ridiculous piece of aluminum extrusion as a rail, but you know what my problem was? Couldn't reach all the way from the darkslide to the lens to hand shutter it. :rolleyes: Now that is a problem, when you need an assistant just to pull a darkslide.

Besides all these glorious oldies, what about pinhole Should be quite special at that size.
    Or Zone Plate? A 550mm f/90 Zone Plate lens will weigh a lot less than the 550mm Schneider XXL.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's true Sandy, a lot less.

Robert, I was joking about needing an assistant, and I solved my issue by machining a lenscap out of delrin. I was having trouble before because I had no lenscap to fit that behemoth of a lens, and also, there is the very real problem of not being able to reach the front standard while looking at the GG... yes it's not the end of the world and you can work from the rear but it's not something I like to do.

I did eventually shutter the lens (acme #5) but man, those speeds are all over the place no matter what I do. Not worth the bother just to get 1/125 which I can time pretty well in my head.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    Robert,

Can you post a few pics taken with the Versar?

Also, is the van fully converted? If so, how is it working out?

Thanks,

Joe
    Joe I know it has been some time since you asked for an example of the 17x20 Versar. Unfortunately at the time this shot was taken I was trying to use some film holders that weren't seating correctly. This is an 8x20 pt/pd print, taken with a Wollensak 17x20" Versar @ F8. I've found that I like F6 much better with this lens. This was my first shots taken with this lens. It is much softer, naturally, @ F6 but not quite like a Verito.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1219245303
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails field station_11.jpg  
    Last edited by RobertP; 08-20-2008 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I should add that a 17x20" Versar is a 22 1/2" F6 lens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin