Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,178   Online: 838

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

what lenses for 20x24" ?

Since my 20x24" camera project is moving along nicely, I am trying t find out wich lenses will cover 20x24". Is there a list of lenses some where ? I know there are some brand new ones on the market, but what older lenses will cover ?
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    19" Dagor...30" Artar...35" Artar. You could also look for a 24" Dagor( if you can find one..very rare) and the price would probably be near what a xxl 550 would cost you. Of course if you are going to plunck down that kind of cash for 20x24 sheet film then I'm sure a 4000-5000 dollar lens is no problem.
    Last edited by RobertP; 05-23-2008 at 08:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    19" Dagor...30" Artar...35" Artar
    42" Artar, 550 and 1100 Schneider XXL

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi, there are some other process lenses for less money that will/should work as well. If you can find any Eastman Anastigmat process lenses 19.75" and longer will cover....the longer the better. Also Apo-Ronars longer than 600mm are fantastic if they can be had at a good price.
    Good Luck!
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Manhattan Optical 19" triple convertible rapid-rectilinear that should cover nicely with the rear element or the front element solo (19-27-37 focal lengths I believe). I have only ever seen this one, so they may be somewhat rare. If you get in to antique lenses, many of the BIG petzvals listed as covering 12x16 or larger will probably fully illuminate 20x24, but of course you'll lose significant sharpness outside the listed coverage area, even if used at portrait distances.

In modern lenses, if you can shake one loose, the 750 Apo-Germinar will cover, and the 600 Apo-Germinar MIGHT at portrait distances. The 600 will vignette at infinity. Both will likely be found in barrel.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott, Good point. I use the rear half of a 14 1/2" Verito on my 8x20 and 12x20 for portraiture. It becomes a 24" lens configured this way and there is no noticable loss in performance. ( still has that gorgeous Verito bokeh). So an 18" Verito's rear half becomes a 30" soft focus lens that just may cover 20x24 at portrait distances. It would be interesting to see the results with it on a 20x24.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I also own a Versar Portrait and View 17x20 lens f.6 ( 22 1/2") that can be used like the Verito. With using just the rear element you have a 45" lens. Now that would cover with ease. For portraiture you may need 6 ft of bellows...or more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Robert,

Can you post a few pics taken with the Versar?

Also, is the van fully converted? If so, how is it working out?

Thanks,

Joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Joe, I'm digitally challenged. But I just so happened to have just picked up a Canon 8mp point and shoot. Its still in the box. I bought it for just that reason, to get a website up and running. I'll try and post an 8x20 that I shot with the Versar here in the near future. As far as the van goes. It is far from finished. I stopped working on it over the winter. I do have a new darkbox for wet plate coming from Steve in Rochester. This will accomodate a 12x20 plate. I seem to have to many irons in the fire. Currently I'm getting the jappanned tin plate production up and running and preparing to get the first sample plates sent off to the wetheads for feedback. As for the van.. I did eliminate the black plexi door that you pointed out wasn't completely opaque. I will go with Porter's darkcloth covers for the red plexi door and window as you suggested. Plus there are numerous little light leaks coming from the rear and side doors that I have fixed. After seeing Bill working right along on his new trailer it has got me anxious for getting started to complete it.
    Last edited by RobertP; 05-23-2008 at 10:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    De Golden Busch (Milles Girot) 610mm
    Both of the XXL Fine Art lenses
    750 and 1000 Doktor Geronar lenses (both in shutter)
    30 inch artar
    30" dagor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin