Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,553   Posts: 1,573,138   Online: 745

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I believe the slot was also used for diamond-shaped apertures in making halftone screens. There are a few printing industry types around here who could explain exactly how this worked.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    I use a 21 1/4" Kodak Ektanon which actually has more coverage than the 24" Artar ( and they usually come cheap). Welcome to the world of ULF.
    Geez, Robert, would you please hush up on the Ektanon, already?!? This is the world's sharpest lens, and up to now, the cheapest. People look at the humongous prism in the battleship mount and don't bid. If word gets out, the secret of 600 LPM sharpness will be known to all, and my reputation will suffer. I have the 16", 18-1/2" and 21-1/4" and they make my Apo Artars look like lomography.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You know when I was first introduced to the 21 1/4" I thought...what the hell, I mounted it to a make-shift lens board and tried a couple of exposures with a lens cap on my 8x20. I was amazed at the sharpness and coverage. So when people asked why in the world would you spend all that money to mount a 100.00 lens into a shutter? I just chuckled and replied, I'm foolish I guess. I do own a 30" red dot Artar but that's because they didn't make a 30" Ektanon. I have no idea what the tech numbers for LPM of resolution are, but I can attest to what my eyes see. It was probably the best 100 bucks I ever spent.
    Last edited by RobertP; 06-02-2008 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodenstock?

Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    Phil,

Interesting Schneider info. I am now going to assume that Apo Artar is the 'design/function' of the lens manufactured by two different manufacturers, since my lens is clearly engraved with "Rodenstock".

Ken
    This is new to me. The Artar originally was made by Goerz, but I presume that the Apo version was made after Goerz American went under in 1972. I believe that Schneider ended up with the rights to the Goerz designs. They must have licensed it to Rodenstock.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes, I too have the 21 1/4 " Ektanon for the 8x20. It is a great lens. Coupled with my 14" Gerogon I have two great lenses for this format at a fraction of the cost of an Artar. I did steal a mint Ilex 21 1/4" for the 11x14 and it is sharp as hell also. Now everyone go back to sleep and we never had this conversation....right!!!

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    Phil,

Interesting Schneider info. I am now going to assume that Apo Artar is the 'design/function' of the lens manufactured by two different manufacturers, since my lens is clearly engraved with "Rodenstock".

Ken
    Ken,

Are you sure your APO Artar is a Rodenstock lens? If so, could you please post a pic? Artar was a trademark of Goerz. The Goerz assets were sold to Kollmorgen around 1970 or 1971 and subsequently to Schneider around 1972. Schneider continued to produce the APO Artar up until about 1989 or 1990.

I have never seen, or heard of (until now) a Rodenstock lens bearing the APO Artar name. It would be most unusual since first Goerz and then Schneider held the legal rights to this name - and they were both competitors of Rodenstock. Rodenstock had their own version of this lens type, but they called it the APO Ronar. Are you sure that's not what you have?

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've never seen a Rodenstock Apo Artar. Also the lens that I'm still kicking myself for selling, and would be a great lens for the 11x14 shooter, was the 14" blue dot Trigor. Mine was the American model not the Swiss Kern model. It covered my 8x20 with slight movements. But was way sharper than my old 1903 Dagor. It was sort of like.. covered like a Dagor but was sharp like an Artar. Of course the Trigor was a coated lens where as my Dagor isn't. Sorry, I didn't mean to get off topic. This has nothing to do with coverage on a 12x20. If the original poster wants to use the 19" Artar for close up stills in-studio then he just may have enough coverage to produce very sharp photos. But for using it as a landscape lens on a 12x20 at infinity, he may find that the corners will get pretty mushy even stopped down. It would be interesting to see the results in both situations. Artars are great lenses and if it doesn't meet your needs you'll have no problem recovering your investment. I hope it works out well for you. Also let me add that once you compose on these huge ground glasses you have entered the abyss of ULF for which there is no return.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigCameras View Post
    Ken,

Rodenstock had their own version of this lens type, but they called it the APO Ronar. Are you sure that's not what you have?

Kerry Thalmann
    Kerry...

You are correct. My lens was downstairs and I did not bother going down to have a peek. My lens IS an Apo-Ronar, definitely made my Rodenstock...not the "Apo Artar".

My apologies everyone

ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    ULarge Format

19" Goerz Red Dot Artar Coverage for 12x20 Format

I can not speak for the coverage of a 19" Goerz APO Artar for 12x20 but I can speak for the Red Dot version of this lens. I have used this lens on my 12x20 many times and it is one of my standard lenses. Obvoiusly each individual lens will vary some, but my 19" red dot will cover 12x20 completely at infinity with some movement. HOWEVER, no matter how much you stop down the lens, the corners will not be sharp for an inch or so. BUT if you shoot at shorter distances than infinity, the image will be sharp corner to corner with movements. Attached below is an image shot with this lens in the vertical orientation at a distance of about 20 feet from the subject using about 2" of rise on the front standard. The image is sharp corner to corner even using a 7X eye loupe on the negative.

Bob Herbst

Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    Robert,
    Well, I read somewhere (I think here) that the 19" Artar would cover 12x20. I hope it's correct information. I bought the lens on Ebay. It was pretty cheap, so I'm not out much if it doesn't cover.
    I'm going to use the camera strictly for straight-on studio still life work, so I won't be trying any extreme movements. That should help.
    I just recently had a major surgery but as soon as I'm given the go-ahead to lift more than 15 lbs, I'm going to start heaving the beast around! We'll see how it works....

I may eventually try to put the lens in a shutter. Film is so expensive, I'd like to take out as many guesswork type variables (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc) as possible.

Thanks for all the replies,
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6307_profile.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    19" Apo Artar, horrible lens, 21 1/4" Ektanon, even worse...

wait, I have mine already,

fantastic lenses, the 19" Artar will illuminate a 16x20, how well remains to be seen when I get my filmholders built.

erie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin