Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,723   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Question about 19" Apo Artar

Hi,
    In spite of trying to pare down my camera collection (see my classified ads), I recently bought a user 12x20 camera to do some studio stuff. I'm not up to taking this beast out in the field!
    Today I received a 19" Apo Artar lens for the beast. There is the aperture adjustment ring of course, but there is also something that looks like it is for some sort of waterhouse stops. It opens up the side of the lens. Talk about light leaks! Better make sure that it's closed before making an exposure.
    Question: What's it for? I don't know why you'd use waterhouse stops when you have the aperture ring/blades built in. Forgive my ignorance. Can anyone shed some light?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format

Apo Artar

Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    Hi,

Question: What's it for? I don't know why you'd use waterhouse stops when you have the aperture ring/blades built in. Forgive my ignorance. Can anyone shed some light?
    Steve
    Steve,
    That lens was for a large 'process' camera. The red 'numbers are actually the diameter of the iris opening (in mm). The slot was/is used for the insertion of filters for graphic arts colour separations.

I just got my 'new to me' Apo-Artar mounted onto a 3/8 Baltic birch plywood lens-board for use on My Burke and James

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    maybe it's for drop in filters?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Here are a couple of documents from the Schneider web site -

See page 6 for reference to the 'self-closing slot':

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/ar...apo_14_760.pdf

See page 2 for more info (not in English) and images of what I'm guessing are a 'gelatine filter' holder and a 'matte':

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/ar...pro_claron.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format

Apo Artar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Here are a couple of documents from the Schneider web site -
    http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/ar...pro_claron.pdf
    Phil,

Interesting Schneider info. I am now going to assume that Apo Artar is the 'design/function' of the lens manufactured by two different manufacturers, since my lens is clearly engraved with "Rodenstock".

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I owned a 19" Artar some years ago and used it on an 8x10. I'm curious to hear if it covers 12x20 at infinity. I would imagine a 24" Artar would be a better choice for 12x20 or better yet a 30". My Korona 12x20 is limited by bellows (24") I use a 21 1/4" Kodak Ektanon which actually has more coverage than the 24" Artar ( and they usually come cheap). Also my 16 1/2" Dagor works beautifully on this camera and easily covers. Welcome to the world of ULF.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use a 19" Apo-Artar on my 8x20 camera it covers perfectlly.
    Also for me a 24" could be a better choise..

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Robert,
    Well, I read somewhere (I think here) that the 19" Artar would cover 12x20. I hope it's correct information. I bought the lens on Ebay. It was pretty cheap, so I'm not out much if it doesn't cover.
    I'm going to use the camera strictly for straight-on studio still life work, so I won't be trying any extreme movements. That should help.
    I just recently had a major surgery but as soon as I'm given the go-ahead to lift more than 15 lbs, I'm going to start heaving the beast around! We'll see how it works....

I may eventually try to put the lens in a shutter. Film is so expensive, I'd like to take out as many guesswork type variables (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc) as possible.

Thanks for all the replies,
    Steve

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Steve, I think the Artar 19 in will screw into the Ilex 4 ? Maybe you could get some feed back on that.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Steve, I think the Artar 19 in will screw into the Ilex 4 ? Maybe you could get some feed back on that.
    Not all Artars have the same threads/barrel diameter. I've owned three different barrel 19" Artars of different vintages and the flanges weren't interchangable on any of them. My current 19" RD Artar is in a #4 Ilex and it is a sweet lens on the 8x10!

If you want to cover 12x20 though a 450 Nikor "M" will do it. The 19" Artar would be iffy IMHO.

Which 12x20 do you have? Alas, my Folmer & Schwing dosen't have the bellows to handle a 24" Artar!
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 06-01-2008 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: incomplete thought!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin