Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,518   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    For comparison, I bought the Sinar DB-mounted barrel version of this lens (a more modern Symmar-S f/6.8 version) in excellent condition for $385 after shipping. I get so much use out of it in studio that I consider the lens well worth the price, although I might have paid a bit too much. So, lets place its value at $350.

Usually they go for about 150% to 200% of the DB price if they have a Copal 3 shutter. That makes it, let's say, a $700 lens if the modern S version in excellent condition. Now, take off a chunk of that because it is older, and take off a chunk because the shutter needs work, take off a chunk because you need to purchase the retaining ring, and take off a chunk because it has been dinged. Then, after all the chunks have been taken off, you might have a $300 lens (maybe). Bid 1/2 of that, or maybe as much as 2/3 or 3/4 if you are a risk taker.
    Wow, makes my wife feel better that I bought A DB mounted 360 Symmar-S with a Sinar shutter (complete with cables) for $400.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was it the one on EBay from San Francisco, about three or four months ago? If so, you scored big time. I meant to bid, but missed the end of the auction. I could have kicked myself when I got home and saw what it went for! I would have loved to have had a backup shutter. Do you know how much they are new? $4,500. Wow. And the lens was over $2,000, probably.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think so, around Feb or so, might have been from san fran, don't remember for sure. She was not happy with me for spending that much, especially after buying the 8x10 P a week earlier. The Sinar shutter with DB mounted lenses makes life so easy in a studio environment.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Indeed. Well, you got a deal and a half. The shutters alone have gone for more. You could even sell the shutter to pay for the lens, and have enough left over to take her out to a nice dinner. But then, you'd have to buy a Copal for the lens anyhow, so...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've bought and sold a few lenses in Copal 3 shutters in the meantime, and while it's nice once in a while to throw the elements into one (and I have a 300 Symmar-S in Calumet clothing), the primary use has been in a studio environment, and for that, the Sinar shutter is head and shoulders above a separate shutter. (especially when using a compendium/multipurpose standard and the bellows mask 2, it's just too tight to get in there to adjust and cock the shutter, never mind adjust the aperture. I'm slowly accumulating a full set of lenses for the studio, and if by any chance anybody has DB lensboards (at non ebay/crazy pricing) lying about, I may be interested as well)

erie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin